White factored

Strider

Forums Enthusiast
So I was chatting with my buddy, Mike the other day. He has a champion Sheltie named Coal that he studs out. Coal is an amazingly beautiful Sable with black tips of fur.

Because Deja is a blue Merle and I'm possibly going to breed her one time in about a year and a half, I was thinking that Coal would be an excellent choice but Mike told me that Coal is white factored. You would never have guessed by looking at him which reinforces the importance of pedigree.
 
Adding to that.........................we don't advise breeding AOAC to sables, as sable merles are not a desired color when they have blue eyes. If Coal is a tri-factored sable, that is at least better, but still wouldn't advise this breeding, adding to the white factoring. How about a non- white factored tri colored dog?
 
Adding to that.........................we don't advise breeding AOAC to sables, as sable merles are not a desired color when they have blue eyes. If Coal is a tri-factored sable, that is at least better, but still wouldn't advise this breeding, adding to the white factoring. How about a non- white factored tri colored dog?

Aye, that is my goal. I'll have to find a pic of Coal. I thought he was a tri until Mike explained the difference to me. I'm not a breeder nor an expert. I will defer to what the experts tell me :) If, and I stress 'if' Deja does get bred, it will be with all the expert advice and guidance I can get. The only reason I will breed her is if she is found to be a champion quality example of the breed.
 
Aye, that is my goal. I'll have to find a pic of Coal. I thought he was a tri until Mike explained the difference to me. I'm not a breeder nor an expert. I will defer to what the experts tell me :) If, and I stress 'if' Deja does get bred, it will be with all the expert advice and guidance I can get. The only reason I will breed her is if she is found to be a champion quality example of the breed.

So, is Coal tri-factored? I just had a breeding with an AOAC to a tri-factored boy... if you've seen my post on the litter announcement... seven puppies with only one sable merle. I must add people seem to love grabbing them up for pets. :-) Not that I recommend breeding just to get sable merles. Is Coal a show quality boy?

Is Deja white factored? What are her bloodlines? Puppies carry a huge responsibility and lots of stress not only to the mom, but to you as well.
 
Last edited:
So, is Coal tri-factored? I just had a breeding with an AOAC to a tri-factored boy... if you've seen my post on the litter announcement... seven puppies with only one sable merle. I must add people seem to love grabbing them up for pets. :-) Not that I recommend breeding just to get sable merles. Is Coal a show quality boy?

Is Deja white factored? What are her bloodlines? Puppies carry a huge responsibility and lots of stress not only to the mom, but to you as well.

Coal is a show champion but is white factored so he will not be bred to Deja. Right now, Deja is still just a puppy and thoughts of breeding her are a long ways away with many hurdles to cross.

I will say though, that Coal is the most beautiful sheltie I have met, besides my Deja of course! :)
 
Is Deja herself white factored though? Unless she is also white factored, you will not produce color headed whites. You will only produce non-white factored, and white factored pups.
 
I think I read some where that the reason that Sable Merles were not allowed is that a light colored sable and sable merle can look similar. This would increase the chances of accidentally breeding two merles which I thought increased the chances of a deaf or blind dog significantly. Of course my memory on this could be incorrect (or the article wrong)
 
Sable merles are actually acceptable in the AKC conformation ring... it's just not a very widely liked color in the AKC ring. You'll see very few finished sable merles, in comparison to the other colors.
The only thing not allowed with sable merles are blue eyes.. so if you produced a sable merle pup with blue eyes, it couldn't be shown, and would have to be placed as a pet or performance dog.
Probably the most well known sable merle was Laureate Santana (went BOB at the 2006 national), and was an Am/Can CH.
 
So, is Coal tri-factored? I just had a breeding with an AOAC to a tri-factored boy... if you've seen my post on the litter announcement... seven puppies with only one sable merle. I must add people seem to love grabbing them up for pets. :-)

just cause the sable merle was asked about right away?? and is already named :winkgrin::lol:
 
just cause the sable merle was asked about right away?? and is already named :winkgrin::lol:

:-) That might have something to do with it... :winkgrin:

Strider... I think you are confusing white factoring with merle to merle breeding. If Deja is not white factored there should be no problems with a breeding with a Tri-factored/white factored sable. And, yes I've seen some gorgeous sable merle CH's and show dogs in the ring. It is just so hard to get one without a blue eye.
 
Back
Top