Are you a doggy Purist or a Collector?

labgirl

Forums Sage
I got chatting with a friend and we were discussing our next dog. I said next is a sheltie.
'Oh, I love them.' She said, 'Great agility dogs.'
She has two labs and a mini poodle, but has had lots of different breeds previously. Now she wants a standard poodle.

This got me thinking. It seems some people are 'purists', they stick with one breed or breed type (gundog, collie, etc) and never vary. They know they like that type dog so stick with it.

And then there is the 'collector' (and I put myself in that category), who loves lots of different breeds because they are so different. Whose next dog is always something different from the last. Who loves large and small and enjoys the challenges that come with different breed temperaments.

So, which are you? A Purist, or a Collector?
 
I am just being peaceful and they show up :yes: Except Sca who I thought on for a long time and because my previous dog was such good company (RIP Dow) I decided to find a breed of similar temperment. So far Sca is actually a bit more laid back and that might be due to me being older (lower energy) or that Dow was a total psycho :yes:. Either way I have put zero thought into next dog other than another Sheltie for Sca to play with but that is not in the cards any time soon.
 
I guess I'm more of a purist than a collector. There are other breeds I like and enjoy but I don't see myself owning anything other than a Sheltie or another herding breed. If I thought I could handle one, I might try a Pyr Shep.
 
I've had lots of different breeds in the past, several Cocker Spaniels, a Poodle mix, a Golden Retriever but Shelties are my all time favorites. I think I'll stick with them so I guess now I've become a purist.
 
I have had many breeds thanks to raising puppies from Pilot Dogs. While I do love a number of different breeds, i always come back to shelties. I think its because I know them.
 
Shelties Rule!

We've had a West Highland White Terrier and a Pomeranian before we found Shelties. Now, I would never have anything else. In fact the bane of my existence is that neither of my two children have Shelties! One has a Border Collie and the other married a guy with such bad allergies they will have to have an allergenic dog.The poor guy sneezes the minute he enters my house. Bummer!
 
I'm definitely a purist.

As a kid, I had a jack russell terrier, then a sheltie. I've had shelties ever since then.

Of course, I love most dogs, but know that shelties are for me.
 
Growing up, we had 3 cockers in a row, and 1 Sheltie.

As an adult, I finally got my first dog when I was about 34. I checked out other breeds, but already knew I wanted a Sheltie. I took quizzes about "whats the right dog for me" and faked the answers! :biggrin2:

When Timber died almost two years ago, I looked again at other breeds. I did not want to "replace" him, but I knew I needed a pup in my life.

I looked at other "smallish" breeds - Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Pomeranian, Miniature Eskimo, Papillon.

Fortunately, there were none available close to home, because in reality, I really just wanted another Sheltie.

So yes, I guess I'm a purist.
 
My family started out with a maltese. Then added a sheltie because we loved the little Lassie look. When our maltese passed on, we got another maltese. When my beloved sheltie passed, we got a chihuahua. Definitely wasn't my choice. I was too busy with college to get a dog. Since I was ready this year (time and money wise), I finally got my sheltie again. I will probably stick with shelties, but I am open to other breeds.
 
Back
Top