Are you a doggy Purist or a Collector?

I love my irish setters and my shelties....

My hubby on the other hand loves the shelties....setters not so much :o Not that he doesn't love them....they just require so much more work than the shelties. He really enjoys our girls.

So...we are purists. Cedar was probably my last setter, and I will just have to go to my mom's house to get my setter fix (which is on the adjoining property so I don't have to go far).
 
It's interesting; my mom chose Shelties, so that's always what we had. When I was 11 or so I would BEG my mother for some other breed... a Borzoi was a big one (they were so decidedly NOT Shelties), if you can believe it. But we had Shelties, and that was that.

Now that I'm older, I truly appreciate Shelties - I feel comfortable with them, I like their size, I love their intelligence and sensitivity, and I think they're just beautiful. I couldn't imagine living with another breed, and I wouldn't care to - they just don't interest me. I've said for years that if I were to handle dogs professionally, I would only want to show Shelties (and maybe Collies - but I wouldn't be able to do shows in my Camry anymore!).

Of course, at the moment, I have two pet rats and *zero* Shelties...
 
Well I've had 3 shelties so far, but then we got a boxer a year and a half ago.
I really love both breeds. I would get another boxer someday as I would a sheltie.
 
Barb, were you saying you faked the answers on the dog breed test? I did too. Hee hee.... :o

Anyway when my husband and I decided to get a dog we did extensive research. He really wanted to check out every breed. I of course wanted to get a Sheltie right from the get-go (I grew up with a Sheltie) but I did the research too. I argued that Shelties weren't as nippy and shy as we read they were.

Our other option to fit our lifestyle was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel... but man those dogs are expensive. 3x the cost of a Sheltie in our area. Which all worked out for the best because I got what I wanted anyway... our Buffy.
 
sheltie owner from the cradle

I grew up with shelties....funny thing is they were all very different personality wise. Also, some were outdoor only dogs. But when the last family dog passed away, I knew it was time for me to get a little furball (without feeling like I was cheating on Devin). I drove my co-workers insane looking at sheltie rescue websites :lol:

But, living in an apt in CA meant no rescue sheltie, so I found a breeder.

If I didn't love the temperment so much, I'd be tempted to go for a cattle dog (less fur in the summer would make backpacking and hiking easier). But Gavin is as close to perfect as possible (and more so than I deserve anyway)..if only he wouldn't bark at my neighbors sooo much :razz:

But I think my neighbors missed him pretty badly when I was gone for a month (they all talk to him when they come home and pass by my balcony, it's quite cute)

I'll go with purist!
 
Before I had shelties, my parents bought me a cocker spaniel x in '83. She was a lovely dog and as a family we had alot of good times with her. Apparently I was in high school at that time and she became more devoted to my mom.
After I got married, I never really thought about having a dog until beginning of '97. I wanted a mix bred ( it had to be nice looking), but my dh wanted a sheltie ( he liked the rough collie because he used to watch Lassie as a kid) Since a rough collie is a big dog...he preferred a sheltie.
So..we got a sheltie.
To this day...I prefer a sheltie over anything else, especially because I live in a subdivision. If I had an acreage, I would experiment with bigger dogs. (There are big dogs that appeal to me more than the smaller kind).
At this point...I'm a purist.
 
Barb, were you saying you faked the answers on the dog breed test? I did too. Hee hee.... :o

Anyway when my husband and I decided to get a dog we did extensive research. He really wanted to check out every breed. I of course wanted to get a Sheltie right from the get-go (I grew up with a Sheltie) but I did the research too. I argued that Shelties weren't as nippy and shy as we read they were.

Our other option to fit our lifestyle was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel... but man those dogs are expensive. 3x the cost of a Sheltie in our area. Which all worked out for the best because I got what I wanted anyway... our Buffy.

Exactly same here! I maintained it was only "untrained "Shelties with poor owners who had those kind of Shelties!

I too looked at the King Charles when Timber died two years ago, but I just couldn't find a good breeder near here...which suited me fine, because I really wanted another Sheltie anyway! :smile2:
 
I argued that Shelties weren't as nippy and shy as we read they were.
Nippy I can deal with after a mouthy labrador! As for shy, well I'm hoping a certain gent will bring confidence out in a pupster. :smile2:
 
Back
Top