Are you a doggy Purist or a Collector?

I grew up with Labs and my grandpa had GSP and discovered I am not a sporting dog person. I like them by not for me. I'm not really a fan of hounds either. I don't do pillow sitting type dogs either. I do like terriers and did considered getting a JRT or rat terrier before I got Diva. I also really like Dobermans and if I ever have a bigger house may get one.

I thought about other herding breeds but why get one when the sheltie is the ideal herding breed.:smile2: I will always have a sheltie in that I have no doubt.
 
I must say my fave is the sheltie - couldnt imagine having anything else. But I am tempted to get an Aussie or Collie with a sheltie. That said, I love these 2 so much I cant imagine replacing them - which is why I waited so long to get another dog after the last died. So maybe in the future I might try a different breed.
 
I would say I'm more of a "purist" I suppose. My ex-fiance had a chihuahua mix that I couldn't stand. The personality is just terrible. I have always had herding breeds, my first were Aussies, and then Moonshine came along and I don't think I'll be looking back :lol:

Working in a vet hospital for years I can honestly say they call me "breedist" the reason being that if a houd/sporting/toy/terrier/non-sporting/working breed comes in I'm not so happy, if a herding breed comes in I'm much more "forgiving". :cool:
 
My first dog was a Malamute mix. DH's first dog was a Finish Spitz. My all time favorite breed of dog is the Husky but I won't ever own one because my lifestyle really can't provide one with the level of activity they need.

I looked at the Alaskan Klee Kai because of my love for a Husky and the research I did on the breed made it seem they've work with my lifestyle but they pups were cost prohibitive.

Then I started watching agility on TV and decided I wanted to get involved. That made me look into dog breeds that were more apt to enjoy the sport. THAT lead me to the Sheltie.

Honestly, after having Edan in my family, I don't know if I'd want any other breed.
 
I have always been around sporting dogs, gun dogs, pointers and setters.

Had a couple of Toy Manchesters, well ok.

When the kids got bigger, we bought english setters.

Sporting dogs and shelties are my favorites. Aussies could fit in there too.

If I buy another, it will be a sheltie.
 
Right, so seems I am in the minority:lol:

Who knows, when I get my sheltie maybe then I will become a purist?:wink2: But I suspect there will always be a lab in my life - only chocolate though!
 
Growing up we had a poodle and a BC..loved them both!! Then we had some mutts along the way too..love them too!!
I gotta say tho..theres nuttin like a Sheltie!!
My sister has 2 JRT's..I get tired just watching them..LOL I don't think my life style could work with those!!
Now that we bought a condo..I'm thinking a toy breed might work there...I'm researching Papillons..but thats a long way in the future!! Clancy is only 7 and Abby 5...and I don't think a third doggy is gonna happen!! LOL

Julie
Clancy & Abby
 
Married to my first husband,we always had beagles.As he was a hunter.We raised 13" beagles.Never had any other type of dog,until I married Brian.

He always had a big dog,loved the GSD. Earnhardt entered our lives,thru a stray we took in,she blessed us with 7 puppies.Earnhardt was kept,the others rehomed.

I've always told Brian if another dog were to be a part of our family,I so wanted a sheltie.I loved the intelligance,thier willingness to please,plus the size was one that appealed to me.
 
Deja was the first dog I actually had a say in.. that's sad actually. Prior to Deja, every dog I've owned has either been given to me or was someone else's in the family! I never even thought about that before!

And I've had a few dogs.. Bo, Chipper, Brute, Brutus, Sage, Sadie, Laddie..

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head! Hehe..

I'm definately a Sheltie purest now. I love Darby to death but if he left us I'd get a sheltie to replace him.

They fit me and Dawn very well :) Doing flyball, conformation and obedience has been great because we are able to be around the other breeds as well as other shelties. i have yet to meet a sheltie that I did not mesh with..
 
Last edited:
Back
Top