bathing your dog...

I don't bathe Meggie that often either. Probably once a quarter and I've done several and had her professionally groomed twice. I brush her at least twice a week though and wash her paws and bum, if necessary. She does not smell bad, but she's not the type to roll in stuff in the yard, etc. She's pretty much a girly girl, except for those darn poopcicles! Her coat is really nice and scratching is very minimal, so I'm going to stick with what seems to be working well for her.

We are back in Florida for good! It's nice to be home. I'm expecting a big coat blowing, going from Syracuse to Florida. I can't imagine what the fur balls will be like!!
 
I just don't get the need to bath them so often? My dogs have not had a full bath since the fall.

Ooh, just wait till you watch you dog roll around in a dead animal carcass or a big pile of poo - aint no dry shampoo that will get me hugging that. Also, for Deska who has a very thick and often dry coat, regular bathing keeps his coat beautiful and manageable. I know shelties aren't meant to have silky coats, ut they are nicer to cuddle.
 
I just groomed all the dogs yesterday and I thinking about how I taught them to tolerate it. I guess I just put them in the tub and expect them to stay there. I remember holding them with one hand and spraying with the other for awhile. I just kept holding and they learned there was no point struggling.

The biggest challenges were nail trimming. I handled and handled paws and nails for the time they were little and still it took Ember and Diva awhile to learn to hold still. I trim/dermel nails every 1-2 weeks. Diva's nails grow like weeds and only the last 2 times has she been really good. I just kept going regardless of what they are doing.

Also Ember hated the force air dryer. I started her on a small hair dryer and then moved up to the big dryer. First 2 times I used the forced air dryer she peed. Not fun to have pee blown back over your dog and you :(
I just cleaned her up and kept going. No big deal. She still hates it but doesn't do anything.

I think the key is to keep going, act like it is no big deal and let the dog figure out if they behave its over faster.:smile2:
 
powder on the ears

do you mean putting powder on the soft hair below the ears (the hair that gets all tangled up)? She is always getting tangles no matter how much i brush. Will this help? Thanks!
 
Where do you all purchase all these fun items for grooming, bathing, dry bathing etc?

Here's what I need to get, (I think)..

1. Dry shampoo & conditioner
2. Better grooming brushes
3. Special hair dryer, ( I am using mine on med/high heat)

Thank you in advance :wink2:
 
I just groomed all the dogs yesterday and I thinking about how I taught them to tolerate it. I guess I just put them in the tub and expect them to stay there. I remember holding them with one hand and spraying with the other for awhile. I just kept holding and they learned there was no point struggling.

The biggest challenges were nail trimming. I handled and handled paws and nails for the time they were little and still it took Ember and Diva awhile to learn to hold still. I trim/dermel nails every 1-2 weeks. Diva's nails grow like weeds and only the last 2 times has she been really good. I just kept going regardless of what they are doing.

Also Ember hated the force air dryer. I started her on a small hair dryer and then moved up to the big dryer. First 2 times I used the forced air dryer she peed. Not fun to have pee blown back over your dog and you :(
I just cleaned her up and kept going. No big deal. She still hates it but doesn't do anything.

I think the key is to keep going, act like it is no big deal and let the dog figure out if they behave its over faster.:smile2:


:lol::lol:, oh no, pee blown everywhere!!
 
1. Dry shampoo & conditioner
2. Better grooming brushes
3. Special hair dryer, ( I am using mine on med/high heat)

Any short pin brush without the balls on the ends of the pins will work. I buy mine at dog shows. I have some of the pricey Chris Christensen brushes, but then end up using the cheapies anyway.

I don't use dry shampoo. My dog tub is right inside the door from outside, so if feet are muddy, they go in the tub for a foot rinse. I use the ultra brightening shampoo by Pure Paws of Texas. It has no added conditioners, which is a good thing. Sheltie coats are not supposed to be soft.

You can probably pass on the hair dryer too. I have a cold air force dryer that I got used for about $80. It is good for blowing the water out of the coat, but it's too fast for "drying". I usually just let them air dry the rest of the way. My landlord bought a Speedy high volume dryer ($700+), so sometimes I use that to dry them right before a show to blow the hair into place.
 
Where do you all purchase all these fun items for grooming, bathing, dry bathing etc?

Here's what I need to get, (I think)..

1. Dry shampoo & conditioner
2. Better grooming brushes
3. Special hair dryer, ( I am using mine on med/high heat)

Thank you in advance :wink2:

We have found PetEdge to be a very good source.They have a really good deal on dryers.Although not the most expensive,but I found it to be adequate for my needs.
Dry shampoos,& regular shampoos,can also be found there.I do like Plushpuppy site,and also Cherrybrook for shampoos,and all the specialty stuff.But honestly if you have a fairly decent pet supply,they carry a nice selection to.

Mane & Tail has been said to give wonderful results. I personally have not used it yet,I do have a bottle of it here though.

Brushes..well to tell you the truth,all of what I have here are definately not the high price stuff.
Most of what I have purchased I got either at pet stores,Tractor Supply.I did'nt sink a great deal of money into these items.And my dogs look well groomed.I just don't have money to put into a 60.00 brush.

Just for a change,this last bath I'll say I tried Pantene shampoo & conditioner,and I will say it did a awesome job on both of the pups.That was last Saturday,and both of the puppies still smell great,so I was impressed.((Thank You Elaine)) It's Elaines secret to keeping Kia as beautiful as she is!:wink2:

Especailly noticed the back end of Trapp (pants area) his coat was very soft.He does need a good thinning in that area.So I will be looking for a pair of thinning shears soon.

If your looking for shears,check Ebay..lots of listings there,and also CherryBrook.Thats where I got my scissors,but there are others on Ebay that I'm sure would suffice just fine.

I totally am a fan of dry/waterless baths.Especially these days when we have had so much rain here.
 
Back
Top