bathing your dog...

This thread has been great! I went out today and bought waterless shampoo and baby talcum powder. Gus was smelling a little "gamy." :lol:

We just finished our 30-minute grooming session. The shampoo worked great and ditto the powder on the ears--wow, the brush and comb just glided right through. Now he's back to being Gussy--looks and smells great.

I was debating whether or not to bathe him these last few weeks, but we're still covered in snow, slush and mud here. This routine is a nice alternative to a full wet bath in lousy weather.

Too funny: Big Dee is watching all this grooming action like "I'm so glad I don't have to put up with that s**t." Of course, after Gus got a cookie for being so good, she suddenly changed her tune. Yeah, she got a hair-do, too! Can you say 5 minutes? :biggrin2:
 
Bathtime is a saga here! Its called 'find where the shelties are hiding'. Deska even whimpers - and mine get peanut butter smeared around the tub to lick on while they are being bathed so its not that bad!

How I bathe my dogs varies. If its only their undercarriage or bottom that is dirty, then thats all that gets washed. But they do get regular 'rinses' where I wash the outer coat only - its mainly the outer coat that gets dirty and smelly, it also means the baths are shorter and they dry quicker, and it gives their coat a nice shine and condition. I use something called 'Plush Puppy Seabreeze Oil', put it in a bucket and give them a sponge bath with a car sponge. Doesnt need rinsing off.

Otherwise they get a full bath (completely wet and washed) every month in summer (a rinse fortnightly) - to keep the undercoat in check, and in winter, well that varies but rarely do they go more than 2 months. Mine like rolling in dead wildlife carcasses so can't leave it too long.
 
I love Seabreeze Oil. Sometimes after grooming, I spray a bit on my palms and just run my hands through their fur. Mmmmmmm! :smile2:
 
I throw on some shorts and sit on the edge of the tub and use the hand held shower for Marius. He likes to put his front paws on my knees and just chill while I wash him. The only time he really squirms is when I am trying to get his tail soapy. Then I let him play try and get mom all wet by shaking before she can hide behind a towel. :razz:

Pandora has not had a bath yet. She had one the day she came to us and I have just been washing the mud off her paws.
 
Mine gets bathed in the utility sink that has a pull out faucet. If we have a butt incident she just goes in the sink with her front feet up on the counter and she is sprayed, soaped, then washed clean. Dirty feet, it's into the sink and a quick rinse. She doesn't mind the baths, actually likes water, but hates the tooth brush and hair clipping.

2. Johnson and Johnson talcum baby powder will do the trick. No need to buy special "grooming powder".

My kids were allergic to baby powder so I always used cornstarch. Has anyone tried/used cornstarch? Just wonder if it would work the same on the ear hair.
 
On Megan I use scented baby wipes for her body for freshening up and light clean ups, unscented hypoallergenic wipes for her "hoo hoo" area :lol:.

She doesn't love or really like a bath either, but she tolerates it. I have a big bath tub that I lay a towel in so she won't slip and then keep the faucet running and off we go!!
 
I bathe mine in the tub too. I have not given Zak a bath yet, but I think he may do okay with it. He sure seem's interested when I take a bubble bath. I hope he will be easy to bath. Maggie hates a bath, she is moving target. But loves to play in the sprinkler. Katie was a joy to bath, she would just stand still and let me do what ever.
 
i bath my shelties every two weeks. I am a dog groomer, and I do not want to go around town in the public spotlight with yucky looking dogs. plus my guys get in horse poop sometimes. AND Ruckus is allergic to grass so actually requires a weekly bath sometimes in the summer to keep allergies under control.
bathing a dog even a couple of times a week does not dry out there skin unless you are doing it wrong. bathing a dog will dry out the skin if
a. you are using too hot of water
b. using the wrong type of shampoo
c. not rinsing well enough
e. drying with heat
 
i bath my shelties every two weeks. I am a dog groomer, and I do not want to go around town in the public spotlight with yucky looking dogs. plus my guys get in horse poop sometimes. AND Ruckus is allergic to grass so actually requires a weekly bath sometimes in the summer to keep allergies under control.
bathing a dog even a couple of times a week does not dry out there skin unless you are doing it wrong. bathing a dog will dry out the skin if
a. you are using too hot of water
b. using the wrong type of shampoo
c. not rinsing well enough
e. drying with heat

I just don't get the need to bath them so often? My dogs have not had a full bath since the fall.

I do interim grooming myself with dry shampoo and conditioner. They roll in the snow, and I towel them off when they come in....that's almost a bath in itself! I make them look good by brushing and trimming.

I deal with their poop chutes as required, and muddy paws are also addressed with dry shampoo and towel offs.

Neither smell skunky (in fact, both smell like pups still). Believe me, DH would be the first to tell me if one of them was smelling nasty.

If I had to bath the dogs every two weeks, my back would give out and I would probably give up on having dogs!

It's really not a requirement to bath them that often, if you do proper grooming in between.
 
Back
Top