bathing your dog...

Ooh, just wait till you watch you dog roll around in a dead animal carcass or a big pile of poo - aint no dry shampoo that will get me hugging that. Also, for Deska who has a very thick and often dry coat, regular bathing keeps his coat beautiful and manageable. I know shelties aren't meant to have silky coats, ut they are nicer to cuddle.

'Tis true I bathe more in the spring and summer when we are at the cottage, because the pups have a think for mink and deer poo! Nothing but a bath will do for that.

But in winter with snow, I find just the towel off when they come inside is a mini-bath!
 
I only bathe my dog 3 or 4 times per year. And when bathing time comes, I bring them to the groomer. I'm just not set up to do it myself, though I have often contemplated it.

I'm sure if they were show dogs, I would do it more often.

In between, I use dry shampoo and grooming (brushes and scissors) to take away the nasties. And I always have baby wipes on hand to do a quick wipe up.

There is no reason to bathe your dog every 2 to 3 weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion of the baby powder though! The one area that tends to start feeling a little "greasy" is the ears/head.

tell me about the dry shampoo please
is it a spritz or a powder?
and how do you apply it?
it sounds like a product for me & my 3 pups
thanks in advance
 
We have found PetEdge to be a very good source.They have a really good deal on dryers.Although not the most expensive,but I found it to be adequate for my needs.
Dry shampoos,& regular shampoos,can also be found there.I do like Plushpuppy site,and also Cherrybrook for shampoos,and all the specialty stuff.But honestly if you have a fairly decent pet supply,they carry a nice selection to.

Mane & Tail has been said to give wonderful results. I personally have not used it yet,I do have a bottle of it here though.

Brushes..well to tell you the truth,all of what I have here are definately not the high price stuff.
Most of what I have purchased I got either at pet stores,Tractor Supply.I did'nt sink a great deal of money into these items.And my dogs look well groomed.I just don't have money to put into a 60.00 brush.

Just for a change,this last bath I'll say I tried Pantene shampoo & conditioner,and I will say it did a awesome job on both of the pups.That was last Saturday,and both of the puppies still smell great,so I was impressed.((Thank You Elaine)) It's Elaines secret to keeping Kia as beautiful as she is!:wink2:

Especailly noticed the back end of Trapp (pants area) his coat was very soft.He does need a good thinning in that area.So I will be looking for a pair of thinning shears soon.

If your looking for shears,check Ebay..lots of listings there,and also CherryBrook.Thats where I got my scissors,but there are others on Ebay that I'm sure would suffice just fine.

I totally am a fan of dry/waterless baths.Especially these days when we have had so much rain here.


Pantene sh & co, the 2 in one or the separate shampoo and condtioner? I thought we were only supposed to use puppy shampoos and conditioners on their coats so that there skin wouldn't dry out!?

I LOVE the smell on Pantene, please tell me more about its use on our furbabes??
 
For a shampoo, my groomer uses good, old fashioned, blue Dawn dish detergent. She dilutes it a bit by putting a little bit in a container (about 1/8th of the container)with a squeeze tip on it (like the the tip on the detergent bottle) and filling it up with water. Wet dog, apply soap and wash. Edan comes out GREAT! No skin problems or anything.

For brushes, I have some of the Chris Christensen brushes but my FAVORITE one of that line is the t-shaped pin brush for line brushing (scroll to the bottom of the page: http://www.chrissystems.com/brushes.htm). Oh My Goodness! It made line bushing him SO MUCH EASIER! I didn't feel like I was struggling to get the brush to do what I needed it to do. Yes, its a little expensive but it is SO worth it.
 
Margsheltie: On Barb's advice about the "dry" shampoo, last week I bought Bio-Groom Waterless Bath at PetSmart. It's a spritz--you spray, massage well (and it foams), and towel dry lightly. Then brush and comb. It took all of 10 minutes to do Gussy Gus and worked like a charm. Smells great, too.

On a side note, I bought baby talcum powder for behind the ears. That was definitely the ticket. Thanks, again, Barb.
 
tell me about the dry shampoo please
is it a spritz or a powder?
and how do you apply it?
it sounds like a product for me & my 3 pups
thanks in advance

It's a spray (despite the name of "dry shampoo"). It just means that you spay on dry fur and don't need to wash out. I do dilute it a little.

You spray all over and work it in with a towel. Then with the fur still damp, you do a brush out. At this point, I usually supplement the brush out with Ice on Ice - which is the leave-in conditioner
 
I just groomed all the dogs yesterday and I thinking about how I taught them to tolerate it. I guess I just put them in the tub and expect them to stay there. I remember holding them with one hand and spraying with the other for awhile. I just kept holding and they learned there was no point struggling.

The biggest challenges were nail trimming. I handled and handled paws and nails for the time they were little and still it took Ember and Diva awhile to learn to hold still. I trim/dermel nails every 1-2 weeks. Diva's nails grow like weeds and only the last 2 times has she been really good. I just kept going regardless of what they are doing.

Also Ember hated the force air dryer. I started her on a small hair dryer and then moved up to the big dryer. First 2 times I used the forced air dryer she peed. Not fun to have pee blown back over your dog and you :(
I just cleaned her up and kept going. No big deal. She still hates it but doesn't do anything.

I think the key is to keep going, act like it is no big deal and let the dog figure out if they behave its over faster.:smile2:

This is so right! I make it non-negotiable with my pups....even if I have to leg-wrestle them into position. But they still get a treat when I'm done! :smile2:
 
For a shampoo, my groomer uses good, old fashioned, blue Dawn dish detergent. She dilutes it a bit by putting a little bit in a container (about 1/8th of the container)with a squeeze tip on it (like the the tip on the detergent bottle) and filling it up with water. Wet dog, apply soap and wash. Edan comes out GREAT! No skin problems or anything.

For brushes, I have some of the Chris Christensen brushes but my FAVORITE one of that line is the t-shaped pin brush for line brushing (scroll to the bottom of the page: http://www.chrissystems.com/brushes.htm). Oh My Goodness! It made line bushing him SO MUCH EASIER! I didn't feel like I was struggling to get the brush to do what I needed it to do. Yes, its a little expensive but it is SO worth it.

I might just have to get this one too! :wink2:
 
Back
Top