Best Sheltie Compliments/Comments from strangers

I get asked if their collies quite often. Also, for my bi-blacks, and occassionally the tris, I'll get people thinking they're border collies. It always blows me away when we get someone who knows they're actually shelties. Usually it's someone who has personally owned one, had a relative who has/had one, or a friend who has/had one.
I take the young ones to the flea market to socialize, and the comments about the ears get old. After explaining it, I get disapproving looks, as if I'm abusing my dogs.
 
I have heard mini collie, mini sheltie, border collie (for my bi black) and some kids thought my my bi blue is a wolf :confused2: I am sure I will probably hear the lassie comment since I now have a sable :rolleyes2:
 
You know.... the lassie comment is actually useful for the dog when you take them through the drive through. Athena has won the shelties many rounds of free hamburgers, chicken nuggets, roast beef, and dog treats, all just for looking like 'little lassie' :x
 
Once when Layla was asleep on the rug in my office, a guy asked if she was stuffed! :eek2:


Too funny!! I've laughed so hard reading all of your comments, Ripley keeps staring at me like I'm nuts. I also got another interesting comment this afternoon while walking him in the park: "How big does his mouth open?" Umm...pretty wide I guess? He's a sheltie, not an alligator.

Thanks for the compliments about the pictures! Ripley LOVES to take pictures, he gets so excited whenever I get my camera out, mostly because I bring treats along for his "photo shoots". He always sits perfectly still, but the best part is always when I have to Photoshop long streams of drool hanging from his chin out of really nice pictures because he's salivating so much while staring at the treat!
 
It always blows me away when we get someone who knows they're actually shelties. Usually it's someone who has personally owned one, had a relative who has/had one, or a friend who has/had one.

...and the comments about the ears get old. After explaining it, I get disapproving looks, as if I'm abusing my dogs.

You know.... the lassie comment is actually useful for the dog when you take them through the drive through. Athena has won the shelties many rounds of free hamburgers, chicken nuggets, roast beef, and dog treats, all just for looking like 'little lassie' :x

1) I too get blown away when people actually know that he is a Sheltie. In fact...I was walking down to my b/f's work lastnight to get him, and on our way back up, a couple passed us and I heard "Oooo, what a pretty Sheltie!!!" I was like :eek2: It most definitely brings a smile to your face doesn't it??

2) Same with the ears...when they ARE glued down, I always get "Are "her"(I get the her/she comments a lot, too) ears clipped??" after saying "No, they're actually glued down." They ALWAYS look at me like I'm an evil glue witch or something, then ask why....after explaining, it never gets old, they always blurt out "OMG! THAT'S SO CRUEL!!" Yeah, and clipping isn't?? Like...c'mon...LOL!!

3) The Tim Hortons Drive thru is a favorite of mine!! I usually stop and pick up a Cappuccino and 20 Tim Bits on my way to visit my sister, and niece...and Caliber never fails at getting the compliments...everyone piles at the window...and somehow the Tim Bits always double in quantity!! Must be magic or something??? :winkgrin: But hey - who DOESN'T like free/extra Tim Horton's stuff???!!!

Other then that...we get more or less all the same comments. We get "He looks just like a fox!" A lot. Probably because of the enormousnesses of his ears when they are unglued. And I once had a guy basically judge me badly because my "Collie" was "WAY too young" to be away from his mother...certainly not even old enough to be weened yet. This was when he was about 8 or 9 weeks old. After rolling my eyes ever so slightly, I turned to him and said "Oh no, he was on kibble about 4 or 5 weeks ago! He's not a Collie.....he's actually a Sheltie." He then looked at me as if I had four heads and a third eye. He hadn't even heard of them...
 
Last edited:
I get the little lassie comments too, just in the face (since she is a CHW).

I also get the people who think she isn't a purebread because of her color. I just tell them to look at her face and usually they agree, but some old rag didn't want to agree and said she must have been a mut somehow.

But, it's funny when you see someone who knows shelties, they immediately run up to her and say 'Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a pretty Sheltie, I've never seen one like her before.'

It makes up for the other people who don't have a clue
 
It amazes me even at shows when i am getting grooming mine there are people who will come up to me and say ohhh its that collie too young to be entered?....umm these are exibators too...I usually smile and say why no shes 4 years old shes a SHETLAND SHEEPDOG...and mutter dumb a$$ :lol:
 
Back
Top