Best Sheltie Compliments/Comments from strangers

I mostly get oooohs and aaaahs! Even at puppy school with cute little pugs and baby beagles and fluffy white things, Bacca always stood out. All the other puppy owners wanted to find out about him.

I always thought Shelties as fairly common but I guess not as I'm always stopped when walking/ And no pup can trot like Bacca can trot. At puppy school, when we had to demonstrate our walk and recall - the other pups would gallop - Bacca executed such a lovely trot that all the other pup owners actually applauded! It was beauty in motion! For people who know horses, its like watching an Arabian - a lovely front straight lined kick!
 
Bacca executed such a lovely trot that all the other pup owners actually applauded! It was beauty in motion! For people who know horses, its like watching an Arabian - a lovely front straight lined kick!

Caliber, too!! Altho...he has more of a "Prance", rather then a trot. Head up high, chest way out. I often make a comment at him when we're on walks..."Look at you, you little prancer! Mommy should have named you Prancer!" and he looks back, and I say "Are you prancing???" and he prances back to me and jumps up lol Shelties are so funny!!
 

Caliber, too!! Altho...he has more of a "Prance", rather then a trot. Head up high, chest way out. I often make a comment at him when we're on walks..."Look at you, you little prancer! Mommy should have named you Prancer!" and he looks back, and I say "Are you prancing???" and he prances back to me and jumps up lol Shelties are so funny!!

Yes, that's it exactly! Indy doesn't have quite the same move. Bacca is just totally elegant! Even for the big boned pup that he is!
 
The CHW comment reminded me of the worst comment I've ever gotten. I had one of my girls in Feeders Supply maybe 3 months after she had her puppies, and she had blown ALL of her coat. I had her and one of her pups with me, and some woman who worked there came up to me, and asked what breed the puppy was, and I told her she was a sheltie. She then looked at my girl, got a huge grin on her face, and went on and on with 'and you must be a mutt! aren't you a pretty little mutt!'. I swear I wanted to smack her upside her head. I was pretty offended. I ended up with a disgusted look on my face, and said 'no, actually she's a purebred sheltie, who has several titles, and is by a MACH2 agility dog, who is also purebred. Besides, I wouldn't be breeding mutts.' I just couldn't help myself. She really rubbed me the wrong way.
 
At puppy school, when we had to demonstrate our walk and recall - the other pups would gallop - Bacca executed such a lovely trot that all the other pup owners actually applauded! It was beauty in motion! For people who know horses, its like watching an Arabian - a lovely front straight lined kick!

If only there were a video of Bacca prancing to the applause !!! I've gotten a chuckle from this thread, despite the m. collie stuff, etc.

Snap's current puppy playmate is a 5 mo old Aussie, "Will". The Aussie's owner has described Snap as the thoroughbred and Will as the draft (draught) horse.
 
I just got another "Miniature Collie " comment today. I was at my Aunts house talking with my old neighbor from when I lived there, and this older lady yelled over from two houses down "IS THAT A MINIATURE COLLIE??"

Me: :mad: *Bites Tongue* "YUP!!" *forced smile*

haha, my neighbor was like "That's not even what he is...that must bug you." I was like "More then you know...but you get sick of explaining to everyone what a 'Sheltie' is...so you just let them say what they say, then grin and bare it."

Never thought it would bug me THAT much - but it does. Weird. :rolleyes2:
 
speaking of ears, I have had several people ask about Belle's ears when I had them glued. they thought sheltie's ears were supposed to be pricked :rolleyes2:
 
speaking of ears, I have had several people ask about Belle's ears when I had them glued. they thought sheltie's ears were supposed to be pricked :rolleyes2:

Oh, I used to get the comments about the gluing: Oh, the poor baby! What's wrong with his ears!? :lol:
 
"Look, a miniature Collie! Lassie-et! Lassie-et!"
"Is that a Sheltie?" (Treader is not a full Sheltie and may not even have Sheltie in him at all, but he looks enough like one that people ask that question a lot.)


That's about it. People seem to be somewhat knowledeable on dog breeds in my area. Minus the people who say "miniature Collie", of course.
 
Back
Top