Best Sheltie Compliments/Comments from strangers

i always get the comment, "thats not a dog, its a fox"

and just like everyone else,"aw hes like a mini lassie"

some people are smart enough to not want to offend and just ask what kind of breed he is... and some peoples reactions are funny, some say "oh really" like they want to pretend they have heard of the breed before.

and then some ppl feel the need to tell me to get a "REAL" dog because Jasper is just so little that it makes him a fake dog apparently...

i get alot of comments on his eyes, he has the bright blue :)

and i also get comments on his little prancing, which has also been compared to a horse many times lol
 
Had to reply. First, love all the responses, I'd say I get most of those too. First, my lovely hubby's comment about merle dogs with one blue eye, one brown.

"those are devil dogs {shivers} creepy!!"
and then I do this: :rolleyes2:

I get the typical, "oh a lassie dog" or "is that a miniature collie". Most times I just say, "no, it's a sheltie, there's no such thing as a mini collie" and walk on. If they ACTUALLY do say it's a Sheltie, I'll stop and chit chat.

The best compliments I've had is when I walk both Miko and Koji together. Ppl just say "what absolutely beautiful dogs you have" and yes, they are ALWAYS female cuz boys can't have long hair. :rolleyes2:

I've never had some of the more rude comments you have. But yes, ppl absolutely LOVE Koji's prancing. lol. If the owner of Bacca ever gets video of his prancing, I'd love to see it!!!
 
I've never had some of the more rude comments you have. But yes, ppl absolutely LOVE Koji's prancing. lol. If the owner of Bacca ever gets video of his prancing, I'd love to see it!!!

Bacca even "prances" to his dinner dish! I don't have a video camera unfortunately. But in my photo albulm on the forum (Chewbacca's Pics) there is a picture of him with his pink ball - which is a "still" version of what his little trot looks like! He just kinda floats when he moves!
 
Bacca even "prances" to his dinner dish! I don't have a video camera unfortunately. But in my photo albulm on the forum (Chewbacca's Pics) there is a picture of him with his pink ball - which is a "still" version of what his little trot looks like! He just kinda floats when he moves!

That is so cute!!! You need to get a camera with video capabilities!! you must!!! lol I think his trot is probably nicer than Koji's. lol. Bacca is adorable.
 
I forgot two more.

From our neighbor when we first brought Koji home: "Are you walking a rabbit?"
LOL. Yes, he used to be so hyper, he'd jump as my DH walked him. She thought he was walking a rabbit. It's no wonder I nicknamed him Bunny Chew Chew for awhile.

And the next one I really hate hearing about over and over again: "ohmigod, you CRIMP his hair? WHY!?"
No! I do NOT crimp my dogs hair. No he is NOT a girl. I can't help it that his hair does that naturally. So everyone teases me about the crimped hair.

And lastly, from my DH's uncle: "what's up with the mudflaps".
:rolleyes2: Poor Miko. He was a bit furry back there. LOL
 
well since I got Dusty I have heard ...
awww! look at the little lassie
is he a mini collie
and my favorite....
he is sooo small his ears haven't stood up yet :rolleyes2: :lol:
 
One time I was in the middle of downtown Portland, Oregon and back when I had Honey (the bestest dog that ever lived). There was a lot of traffic, noise, buses, people, lights, honking, distractions, but my perfect little girl was obedient and attentive. She walked in a perfect heel postion and when I stopped walking, she sat and looked up at me, waiting for the next command. Mind you, I trained that dog all myself. It took a long time and was hard work and a lot of patience. I had a lady come up to me on the street and said, "You are really lucky that your dog is so well behaved. It's really dangerous out here and she has no business being here!" and she turns on her heel and leaves. OK, in the first place, the dog was well-behaved because she was TRAINED to be--not because I just got "lucky." Maybe I had a streak of good luck and won Honey in Vegas? Or did this lady think you could buy pre-programed Shelties? Maybe they come with comptuer chip you download and then they know all the commands? You have to buy an upgrade periodically so your dog can stay current? :rolleyes2: Also, I would NEVER have my dog in a dangerous situation. Never. Ever. If I didn't think she could handle it, I would have never had her there. Needless to say, I was pi$$ed. :mad:

On a happy note though, one time this adorable little girl, who looked to be about 5 or so, was tugging on her mom's arm and pointing at Honey, saying, "Mom, there's LASSIE! LAAAASSSSSIEEEE!" And her mom said, "Honey, I don't think that's Lassie." So the little girl said, "I'm going to ask!" and she ran up to me and said breathlessly, "Is that Lassie?!" and I, of course, replied, "Yes!" :yes::smile2:
 
For all of us who have heard the Timmy in the well comments, I have found the PERFECT dog t-shirt for all of our shelties to wear. I honestly think it is one of the funniest shirts ever and am going to order one for Ripley to wear whenever we go out in public: http://pets.cafepress.com/item/i-pushed-timmy-in-the-well-dog-tshirt/91847251

I have the one that says if Lassie had been a sheltie, Timmy never would have fallen in- but this one is really great. :lol:
 
Back
Top