Best Sheltie Compliments/Comments from strangers

Shetland Sheepmonster

Forums Regular
Hi all! I don't know if it's just people in Florida that aren't used to seeing a sheltie, but I have gotten some WEIRD comments from people out on the streets when I'm with Ripley. Some of my favorites are:

"You're dog looks like he has fake eyes...like a cartoon!" (group of children walking by) I said thank you, but I didn't really know if it was a compliment!

"I love your dogs nose, it's so big!"

"Your dogs eye are really close together!"

Guy kneels down to pet Ripley and asks him "Why the long face?"

"Do you ever get really drunk and ask your dog to help you find grandma or Timmy?" (dumb guy at a swimming pool)

and of course, the every day "Did Timmy fall down the well?"

I would love to any interesting comments you guys have received while with your shelties, I know these beautiful little guys bring in compliments and comments by the hundreds!

Here are a few pictures of my cartoon eyed long nosed dog, most are recent but there are a few puppy pics in there as well!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2056807&id=18704246&l=21b9e
 
We have got a few of the "little lassie" comments but I have been approached by quite a few older folks asking if Cali is a "Shettie".. I am not sure if that was a nickname or something of the breed back in the day but I would say probably 4-5 people have approached me asking if she was a "Tri-Shettie" LOL!
 
"Did Timmy fall down the well?"
Yes, that certainly is one we've all heard - over and over again.:razz:

I get the: "what is he?" (an elephant, what do you think!), "he's awfully small for a collie, isn't he?" (sometimes I try to explain the difference betwen a sheltie and a collie.) "she's really pretty" (actually he's a male) "Oh, with all that fur, I thought she was a girl" (what, male dogs can't have lots of fur?).:rolleyes2: Every so often though, I am told, "what a nice looking Sheltie you have". (that one I really enjoy.):smile2:

Here are a few pictures of my cartoon eyed long nosed dog QUOTE]
I have to say that your cartoon eyed long nosed dog is one handsome boy.
 
He is very handsome! I love the pictures of him in front of the flowers?! and the one of him rolling on his back on the grass! I miss summer!! :cry:
 
I don't have my sheltie yet, but my Mom came over while I was watching 'Sheltie TV' and she ask if she was a Germen Shepherd??? :confused2: She still says she looks like one! I think she's mixing up Collies and Shepherds, but she says she's not!
 
I get the "Did Timmy fall down the well?" a bit as well.

When Aztec was six months or so I constantly got "Oh! Look at the collie puppy!" (I didn't think he was that oversized :wink2: )

I think I get "He sure is proud of himself" the absolute most. My conceited dog, who must stop and stare at himself in every mirror and prances everywhere :lol:

When I walk both my dogs though, Aztec doesn't get nearly as many comments or stares as my border collie mix. They never cease to ask me if she is a wolf. (Yeah - the big, scary, 30lb wolf!)
 
We have got a few of the "little lassie" comments but I have been approached by quite a few older folks asking if Cali is a "Shettie".. I am not sure if that was a nickname or something of the breed back in the day but I would say probably 4-5 people have approached me asking if she was a "Tri-Shettie" LOL!

Maybe they were saying "Sheddie." Mine sure are! :lol:
 
I'm asked the Lassie one. I usually reply "he's not on duty anymore."

I get "what pretty Aussies!" when they see my blues...
 
Some of the fun ones I've gotten...

"How old is your aussie puppy?"

"Oh, a miniature collie!"

"Oh, a miniature sheltie!" (Smoke is 13" so not exactly a tiny guy :wink2:)

"She/He looks like a little lassie!" (Smoke is a bi blue chw, furthest thing from sable, so I guess its the face)

"Those black eyes make your dog look evil/mean" usually coming from older kids/teenagers in our neighborhood.

Also, Smoke is always assumed to be a girl. Hes just too pretty, I guess :yes:
 
Back
Top