Brooke - not good news

Sharon, I don't know if this will be helpful to you. If not now, perhaps later. This organization is wonderful and has given me both information, support and comfort when I've dealt with cancer in my dogs. It's the National Canine Cancer Foundation. They have a blog with wonderful articles and lots of people who are dealing with or have dealt with canine cancer, founded by a family who lost their Golden to it.
 
We took her to our local city college this morning, it is set on a bluff above the ocean and has huge green lawns, and is an un-official dog place. Eli and Faith got to run around and chase the stick and my hubby, and Brooke and I walked around a bit then rested to look at the ocean. Then I popped her in the stroller and we took a nice walk around the rest of the campus.

It was a rough night, she is coughing and coughing, kept herself and us awake quite a bit. She's always had an allergic cough in the winter but it usually goes away in the spring. I emailed my retired vet and he said go ahead and try Claritin to see if it will help, so I gave her some this afternoon. I don't think it's related to her cancer at all but it's bad timing, she needs her rest and so do we. She coughed so hard this morning she vomited up some fluid and then kinda picked at her breakfast.

Just trying to keep her comfortable and happy. Thanks to everyone for their beautiful words and sentiments, it helps more than I can express.
 
I am sorry to hear about her set back. Such a difficult time. May you find all the love and strength you need.
 
Thank you for asking, Cindy. This is one tough little girl. Amazingly the claritin stopped her coughing completely - like magic. I am so glad I thought of it (I ran it by my retired vet before I gave it). The cough was so prolonged and hard that she would vomit fluid occasionally, but it made me fear the worst. She slept pretty well last night, no more vomiting, was more enthused about breakfast. :)

My hubby and I looked at each other this morning and just said "Don't ever count this dog out!"

We will be doing Nosework practice shortly. Started vehicle searches last week. If she's enthused about it, she'll go to class tomorrow night. Trying my best to keep doing the things she enjoys. And in return, I got a good, Brookie-style face wash this morning. (y)

Tears come and go but I try not to hang onto her and bawl, that would only upset her.
 
One thing I noticed is how much how I perceive Gavin's day going affects my mood.
Serious depression when he looks to be having a bad day :(
This morning when he followed me around endlessly made me feel happy :)

Since Gavin doesn't do kisses..I hope you enjoyed yours!
Brooke seems to be happy, which is all because of you.
 
Back
Top