Cody has a shoulder injury

The vet stated he may have the limp permanently OR frequent recurrences (spell check). And No, he hasn't been tested for Lyme Disease. I didn't see the injury, he just started limping (ever so slightly and occasionally) about 2 wks ago and it progressively got worse.

If the limping continues after rest....I will follow up with your suggestions.:yes:

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!
 
The vet stated he may have the limp permanently OR frequent recurrences (spell check). And No, he hasn't been tested for Lyme Disease. I didn't see the injury, he just started limping (ever so slightly and occasionally) about 2 wks ago and it progressively got worse.

If the limping continues after rest....I will follow up with your suggestions.:yes:

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

The in-house Lyme test is not very expensive. It will at least give you an idea if he has been exposed to Lymes.

With an injury, I wouldn't expect it to start slightly and progress. I would expect quite the opposite, but I am not a vet.

This sounds like Lymes to me.

Did you vet take your dogs temperature?

Does he act like he is a little tired, or are his eating habits off?

With Lyme, the sooner it is treated the better. Two weeks is long enough.....I really would get him checked.

A friend of mine had these symptoms on her beagle and after two weeks of limping her dog started having seizures. And it was Lymes. Lymes can do a lot of internal permanent damage if left untreated.

JMHO and experience
Dani
 
The in-house Lyme test is not very expensive. It will at least give you an idea if he has been exposed to Lymes.

With an injury, I wouldn't expect it to start slightly and progress. I would expect quite the opposite, but I am not a vet.

This sounds like Lymes to me.

Did you vet take your dogs temperature?

Does he act like he is a little tired, or are his eating habits off?

With Lyme, the sooner it is treated the better. Two weeks is long enough.....I really would get him checked.

A friend of mine had these symptoms on her beagle and after two weeks of limping her dog started having seizures. And it was Lymes. Lymes can do a lot of internal permanent damage if left untreated.

JMHO and experience
Dani

I'm terrified now.......No temp was taken and no, he's not tired and he's eating well. I'm calling the vet!
 
Well, I called the vet and he seems to feel it's not necessary to test for Lyme disease. He stated he feels it's a torn muscle/tendon and depending on the severity of damage, it could possibly lead to arthritis and frequent recurrences, therefore, the need for baby aspirin.

I'm so worried and confused. I don't want to question his diagnosis......

He is definitely better today after 3 doses of Azium. The difficult part is keeping him quiet. I have to take turns letting him & Sadie out. SADIE PESTERS HIM CONTINUOUSLY!!!!
 
Well, I called the vet and he seems to feel it's not necessary to test for Lyme disease. He stated he feels it's a torn muscle/tendon and depending on the severity of damage, it could possibly lead to arthritis and frequent recurrences, therefore, the need for baby aspirin.

I'm so worried and confused. I don't want to question his diagnosis......

He is definitely better today after 3 doses of Azium. The difficult part is keeping him quiet. I have to take turns letting him & Sadie out. SADIE PESTERS HIM CONTINUOUSLY!!!!

Happy to hear he is home with you. When Gypsy had luxcating patella surgery I just kept her up on the couch or bed with me at all times and Chandler didn't pester her that way.
 
just wanted to give an update on Cody. Meds are almost finished and I let him loose in the backyard for the 1st time in over 2 weeks yesterday. So far, he seems OK, but, I'm keeping a very close watch on him. I'm really nervous he's going to injure it again.

On top of this, one of my horses came up lame last week, and I've had her on bute......I SHOULD HAVE BECOME A VET!!!! :rolleyes2:
 
just wanted to give an update on Cody. Meds are almost finished and I let him loose in the backyard for the 1st time in over 2 weeks yesterday. So far, he seems OK, but, I'm keeping a very close watch on him. I'm really nervous he's going to injure it again.

On top of this, one of my horses came up lame last week, and I've had her on bute......I SHOULD HAVE BECOME A VET!!!! :rolleyes2:

Glad to hear that Cody seems to be doing okay. Sounds like you're doing the right thing--going slowly and keeping a close eye on him.

And sorry about your horse! Hope she's better soon!
 
Well.....he's limping again after only being loose outside for 2 days.....I'm SOOOO worried. Next step is trying to find a chiropractor???:no:
 
Called the vet today since Cody was limping when he came in last night.:no: Now he's on Rimadyl 75mg 1/2 tablet once a day for 10 days and back to NO activity till meds are gone. POOR GUY!!! He's so active and LOVES to run in the back yard. This will be almost a month he can't play......:(
 
I feel bad for poor Cody, I sure hope this next treatment works for him. Mikos had a soft tissue injury in a hind leg back in January and our vet had us keep him from rigorous exercise for over 8 weeks, and said that it can take up to 12 weeks to get better. He was allowed go on walks but no heavy running or jumping.
 
Back
Top