Congestive heart failure- looking for hope

Oh that must have been awful to receive the news that way. I agree, if you can manage it, I would go to the emergency vet, who likely can be at least more precise about Donovan's condition and prognosis. Grade 5 is very serious, but it would be worth the effort and the trip, IMHO. Then you know you've done absolutely everything you can, which sounds like it's important to you. I'm so very sorry for your situation and Donovan's struggle.

Is there someone who can hold him during the car trip so he's not so frightened?
 
I’m so very sorry your going through this with Donovan, I have nothing to offer except to say that I’ll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers through this. I can’t imagine how difficult this must be for you. I hope and pray you get some better news and that you can improve his quality of life.:hugs:hugs:hugs
 
I am also shocked and stunned at the lack of compassion! This person should not be a vet!

You might try Lap of Love!
They have vets that will come to your home for palliative care.
They help with meds and your emotional needs too. I have had wonderful experiences with them and have recommended them to so many people.
One of my Shelties was diagnosed with cancer and not given long. The vet who came was very knowledgeable and helped with another Sheltie I had too.
I totally understand his fear of the car at this stage. Although this option might ease your mind and heart. Just a thought!
https://www.lapoflove.com/quality-of-life-assessment
 
Thank you for the suggestions and continued kindness. It is very much appreciated, especially considering what we've been going through. While I do know that a grade 5 heart murmur is serious, does anyone have experience to share about their own dogs having such a serious heart murmur? Is there anything I can do to help keep him as comfortable as possible? I wish it were easier to take him for rides in the car. Nothing seems to help- whether his other parent (my partner) is holding him, he's in his crate, or laying in his bed, he gets himself very worked up.

I also feel like this is my fault, because I didn't realize how serious a heart murmur could be :( I took him to the vet in September of 2019 to get a check-up and senior bloodwork done. They told me that they might have heard a faint heart murmur, but when they called in another vet to verify, she couldn't hear anything. They suggested I follow up with them, but had also told me a possible mild murmur wasn't something to be alarmed by, at least not anytime in the near future. His bloodwork results were excellent at the time, and he had no other signs of illness. Fast forward a few months, and we moved out of state during the beginning of Covid. I couldn't find a vet that was accepting new patients, and I felt bad that we couldn't be in the office with him due to safety protocols. It only took a year and a few months for his possible heart murmur to become a grade 2 or 3 :( I definitely know better now, but I'm going to regret this for the rest of my life.

That vet that I last spoke to made it sound like it was probably "pointless" in her eyes for me to keep trying with him. However, the vet who actually saw him when we were in the office made it sound like he could stick around with us a little while longer as long as the meds are helping him. I'm trying my best to consider his quality of life, and find the lap of love quality of life scale to be helpful for doing so. My partner & I want to give him more time, and try adjusting his meds when necessary before letting him go. He does still have good days, and good moments. He is still eating and drinking. He still wags his tail at us, and still wants to snuggle and give kisses sometimes (he has always been a little moody from time to time, even when he was a puppy!). Donovan is a fighter, and as long as he's still fighting, we're going to do whatever we can to fight for him.
 
Bravo. I would do the same in your shoes, given the description of his behavior. He will let you know when it is time. I have a 17 1/2 year old kitty on his last legs, has the occasional seizure, looks like a walking skeleton, occasionally very grouchy, but he's also eating, drinking, wandering around from sleeping place to the patio, etc. We give him his medication hidden in his canned food, and support him as best we can, until it's time.

My heart goes out to you, it is such a stressful time, but take it literally one moment at a time, enjoy all you can and know you are doing the best as is possible. :hugs
Try not to beat yourself up about what happened. We all learn about life as we go along.
 
Please, please, please don’t beat yourself up! You are a great pet parent and have done more than many who would be in your shoes! You caring and compassion comes through in volumes when you post. Covid has made it so difficult on pet parents and this made so much out of your control!
As you said, adjust his meds and keep him comfortable! Love on him for as long as you might have! ❤️❤️❤️
 
It is good to hear from you and know that Donovan is fighting the good fight. You are doing everything possible to give him as much quality time as he can have. You will know when that time is no longer possible but until then he is blessed to have your love and care. Nothing has been normal with Covid changing so much including the care we can get for our beloved pets and you have done your best...that is all anyone can do. Cherish every good day you have with your sweet Donovan as I know you and your partner will do. If his current meds are not working as well as they had been I would definitely talk with a vet about possible replacement meds...typically there are at least 2 o 3 meds available that address any one issue and each may work in a different way. Gentle hugs to Donovan.
Trini
 
Every time I wake up, or walk through the door and he greets me with his little tail wag and his sweet, forever puppy eyes, I'm so thankful that he's still here with us. My partner and I have both broken down and cried when he has been sweet and acting like himself. It's so hard not to- I feel like we miss him already, even though he's still here :( I feel like losing him is going to kill me. He has been my everything for so long. I honestly don't know how to handle death in a healthy way.
 
Back
Top