Congestive heart failure- looking for hope

Another update on Donovan:

He was doing great for a few weeks there! He was mostly back to his usual sweet, playful self. <3

Unfortunately I had to learn a difficult lesson last week: Trazodone can be dangerous for dogs with heart disease. I wish I would've known sooner so I could avoid giving it to him :( there was a thunderstorm (his biggest fears are storms, fireworks, gunshots, and car rides) last week. I gave him some Trazodone because I was worried his anxiety would put his heart in danger.

I quickly noticed that the Trazodone appeared to make him feel worse. His heart rate and breathing rate were all over the place, and he fell over again :( After doing some research I quickly learned that Trazodone can cause or worsen cardiac arrhythmias in patients who have a personal and/or family history of cardiac disease. It is apparently not recommended in humans who have cardiac issues, so I have a feeling that the same could apply to many animals. In hindsight, I first started noticing him doing worse when I started giving him trazodone in the car, and to help calm his immense anxiety in our new situation. That was the last of his Trazodone prescription, and I won't be refilling it.

Please be careful giving Trazodone if you have a pet with heart issues! I asked 3 vets if it was safe with his heart issues (before I knew better) and they all said it was. I hope that this will become more common knowledge in the world of veterinary science, and I hope Donovan will be able to pull through his latest setback.
 
Another update on Donovan:

He was doing great for a few weeks there! He was mostly back to his usual sweet, playful self. <3

Unfortunately I had to learn a difficult lesson last week: Trazodone can be dangerous for dogs with heart disease. I wish I would've known sooner so I could avoid giving it to him :( there was a thunderstorm (his biggest fears are storms, fireworks, gunshots, and car rides) last week. I gave him some Trazodone because I was worried his anxiety would put his heart in danger.

I quickly noticed that the Trazodone appeared to make him feel worse. His heart rate and breathing rate were all over the place, and he fell over again :( After doing some research I quickly learned that Trazodone can cause or worsen cardiac arrhythmias in patients who have a personal and/or family history of cardiac disease. It is apparently not recommended in humans who have cardiac issues, so I have a feeling that the same could apply to many animals. In hindsight, I first started noticing him doing worse when I started giving him trazodone in the car, and to help calm his immense anxiety in our new situation. That was the last of his Trazodone prescription, and I won't be refilling it.

Please be careful giving Trazodone if you have a pet with heart issues! I asked 3 vets if it was safe with his heart issues (before I knew better) and they all said it was. I hope that this will become more common knowledge in the world of veterinary science, and I hope Donovan will be able to pull through his latest setback.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
 
Henrie Lee, what an awful scare for you and Donovan. I am really sorry this happened but thank-you for posting about it so we can all learn from your frightening experience. How could you have known this could potentially be dangerous for Donovan...especially after you had asked 3 vets and they had assured you it would be safe. I am so thankful that Donovan came through this and hope your vet can adjust his meds if needed. Please know that you and Donovan remain in our thoughts and prayers.
Trini
 
Donovan's condition has been such a rollercoaster lately :( we're so worried that we might lose him soon. He is still eating, drinking, and using the bathroom. He has been happy to see us when we come home. But he has been struggling more consistently with his breathing for the past day or two. I feel terrible because I cannot afford to take him to the vet right now, even though I desperately want to. I'm hoping to hear back from his regular vet for further advice, as I left a voicemail for him yesterday...
 
Donovan's condition has been such a rollercoaster lately :( we're so worried that we might lose him soon. He is still eating, drinking, and using the bathroom. He has been happy to see us when we come home. But he has been struggling more consistently with his breathing for the past day or two. I feel terrible because I cannot afford to take him to the vet right now, even though I desperately want to. I'm hoping to hear back from his regular vet for further advice, as I left a voicemail for him yesterday...
These rollercoaster times for anyone who loves a senior dog are so emotional draining, holding onto hope but also knowing that your boy is on borrowed time. Don't feel awful because you can't get Donovan to a vet...I doubt that a vet visit would do anything but stress him out. If your own vet has advice for you when he returns your call that is a far better solution. As long as Donovan is eating, drinking and happy to see you...then just letting him have time with you and being loved is the most important thing you can do for him now. We never have these precious souls long enough...cherish every good moment. Gentle hugs to Donovan and to you too.
Trini
 
Thank you, Trini I just spoke with the vet- he's going to call in some spironolactone for Donovan, and we're going to try giving him the enalapril twice a day instead of just once. I truly hope this makes enough of a difference for him to stay with us a little longer.
 
Thank you, Trini I just spoke with the vet- he's going to call in some spironolactone for Donovan, and we're going to try giving him the enalapril twice a day instead of just once. I truly hope this makes enough of a difference for him to stay with us a little longer.
Henri Lee, that sounds like a good plan and I really hope this does give Donovan some extra happy time with you. Trini
 
Back
Top