Congestive heart failure- looking for hope

Every time I wake up, or walk through the door and he greets me with his little tail wag and his sweet, forever puppy eyes, I'm so thankful that he's still here with us. My partner and I have both broken down and cried when he has been sweet and acting like himself. It's so hard not to- I feel like we miss him already, even though he's still here :( I feel like losing him is going to kill me. He has been my everything for so long. I honestly don't know how to handle death in a healthy way.
We all can relate to how you and your partner feel. This is the part of pet ownership all of us dread. Please try and keep positive if only for Donovan's sake. Shelties are so sensitive and pick up on all our feelings. It's very hard, I know. Each month, day, or minute is a treasure. Donovan is your heart dog. No matter what, he understands that. We are here for you as a support group. Hugs to you all. Keep us posted.
 
Continued prayers and Best Wishes. Enjoy the time you have, every minute is precious and your doing a great job, he knows you love him and are doing everything you can for him and he loves you for that.
But keep a smile on your face and make your time the best for him. Shelties are very intuitive and he needs to see you are happy.I know it's hard but if he sees sadness he may think he's done something wrong. Enjoy him while he is here, miss him when he is gone.
I know it's extremely hard I have lost 2 wonderful Sheltie companions over the years but they are still a big part of me, I talk about them all the time. Hopefully it will be the same for you.
He is truly a fighter and you can be extremely proud that he is a big part of your life.
 
But keep a smile on your face and make your time the best for him. Shelties are very intuitive and he needs to see you are happy.I know it's hard but if he sees sadness he may think he's done something wrong. Enjoy him while he is here, miss him when he is gone.
.

This is such good advice, so very hard to do, but so important. Fill Donovan's and your days with as many happy things as he can handle and when the tears come try to go off somewhere so that he can't see and feel your sadness. He doesn't know what time will bring and seeing you upset can confuse a sensitive dog and make him wonder what he has done wrong to make you sad. He IS with you now and needs your strength and smiles even when your heart is aching.
Trini
 
Excellent advice, here Henrie. This is a terribly difficult time for you and your partner, but remember that Donovan doesn't know that he's sick. Dogs live in the moment, and if he's happy and with you right now, that's all that matters to him. It's hard when you're sad not to show that, I know, I've done it too. But you will find that doing happy things with him now creates wonderful memories and will make you smile too. We are here when you need to vent any time. Don't hesitate to share. We have all been where you are and can relate.
 
Reading your heartache takes me back to my own past losses. It is incredibly wrenching to be staring loss in the face. When my Brooke was ill with cancer we managed about 4 months of decent quality of life, but toward the end I made a conscious effort to NOT hug her and cry my heart out into her fur. I knew it would upset her tremendously, so I did it outside or in another room. Try your best to be happy around Donovan, everyone above has given such good advice.

Yes we are here if you need to share/vent/get support. We all understand the aching, devastating feeling.
 
Hi everyone, I hope you and your babies are doing well. My beloved Donovan was diagnosed with heart disease in December 2020. I'm feeling pretty discouraged and worried, because he was doing worse than ever just a few days ago, and is having a hard time again today.

He started taking Pimobenden (Vetmedin) in January 2021. I thought he was doing pretty well until this May, when his breathing rate became too high on a regular basis. He started taking a moderate dose of furosemide. I believe that is also when his Pimobenden dose was increased.

He stopped wanting to eat his food in July (though he was still very interested in people food and his peanut butter pill pockets!). He happened to run out of refills for the furosemide, and I noticed he seemed to feel better off of it. I got him some new food, and some heart supplements. He was doing much better for about a month and a half.

On the first few days of September I noticed he was having an extra hard time breathing. His breathing rate was high, and sounded raspy :( His vet refilled his furosemide on a Friday and we doubled what he was already taking. He seemed to feel better after a day, but went downhill again. We weren't able to get him into the vet until Tuesday.

The vet took an x-ray and performed blood work. The x-ray showed fluid in his lungs from congestive heart failure :( He put him on Enalapril and increased his Pimobenden. Due to the fact that he's now been on a high dose of furosemide for about a week and still has difficulty, the vet said it's probably advanced heart failure at this point.

He wasn't doing great on Wednesday, but the vet told us to give it another few days. The positive difference on both Thursday and Friday were incredible! He was excited about his food, running around, barking, jumping, wagging his tail, and being his usual sweet, silly self. His breathing rate was excellent, and his nose was finally wet again, too.

But today he isn't doing well :( his breathing rate was normal in the morning, but he seemed to be having some difficulty. He started coughing again. He ate his breakfast, but wanted nothing to do with his afternoon meds. I even tried giving him more of his food, which he also didn't want. This was the first time since July that he showed disinterest in his food, and he has never been disinterested in his pill pockets. His breathing rate has gone up, and it still seems like he's having a hard time breathing in a more normal manner. His energy level has been lower than usual again. The only difference I can think of is that it's much warmer today than it was yesterday, which he does have a harder time with.

Has anyone else had a pup who seemed like they were at the end of their rope with heart failure make a turnaround and stick around for a little while longer? What about advanced heart failure?

I'm desperately in need of hope that he can improve again and stay with us for at least a little while longer. Thank you for reading.
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
 
We all understand what you're going through and my heart aches for you. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and you really have received some amazing advice. As hard as it may be, as others have mentioned just try to stay positive around Donovan and make the most of all the time you have left :hugs:hugs
 
Thank you my heart goes out to those if you who have lost your beloved heart dogs and fur babies. :( Their time with us is truly too short. I wouldn't trade my time with him for anything in the world.

Is anyone here familiar with at home oxygen therapy or their pets, or has anyone tried it? I would love to do something like that for him on days when he is having a harder time.
 
Thank you my heart goes out to those if you who have lost your beloved heart dogs and fur babies. :( Their time with us is truly too short. I wouldn't trade my time with him for anything in the world.

Is anyone here familiar with at home oxygen therapy or their pets, or has anyone tried it? I would love to do something like that for him on days when he is having a harder time.
Like you, even with the absolutely horrific pain when we have to say good-bye to a precious soul, I don't think any of us would trade the time we had with them ...which is always way too short. The heartbreak is a heavy price to pay for the love and joy they bring us, but how diminished our lives would be if we never had them.

I don't have any data on in home oxygen therapy...we never went the oxygen therapy route with our Rascal, but it would be worth at least asking your vet about it. Typically it is done in the hospital but if you could get instruction and the needed supplies to do it at home that would be so much less stressful for Donovan...esp since you have a long drive to get to a vet and he is so unhappy in the car.

As always sending good thoughts and prayers for your sweet boy.
Trini
 
Back
Top