Congestive heart failure- looking for hope

I have no experience with oxygen therapy but I remember turning the AC down some to make the house cooler Towards the end of Miss April's life she seemed to do better when it was cooler in the house,
Continued best wishes for all of you.
 
I have no experience with oxygen therapy but I remember turning the AC down some to make the house cooler Towards the end of Miss April's life she seemed to do better when it was cooler in the house,
Continued best wishes for all of you.
Yes I have a client on oxygen and his breathing is much worse when it’s hot and humid. The sister usually keeps the temperature at 72 but could be lowered to whatever helps. Good idea Ron.
 
We will hopefully have air conditioning again next week, and the temperature should be dropping in another week or two. I'm really hoping that will make a big difference for him! I just want him to feel better.

He's currently sleeping right next to me. I'm having a rough night with my PTSD and depression. He's always been such a great comfort to me. I feel a lot of guilt over struggling so much with my mental health like this. Even though I try to put on a happy face and try to act "normal," he's so intuitive, like everyone is saying shelties are. He just knows these things.
 
Okay, If you want to try a trick my grandfather said they used when he was a kid (He said it helped a little in a small area) He told me this when I was young and he was reminiscing "About the good old days"

His Mom would take a shallow pan and a large chunk of ice and place it in front of a fan so the air would blow across the ice, making the air cooler.

I don't see how this would make much of a temperature change but you never know. Continued prayers and best wishes sent to you both.
 
Last edited:
We will hopefully have air conditioning again next week, and the temperature should be dropping in another week or two. I'm really hoping that will make a big difference for him! I just want him to feel better.

He's currently sleeping right next to me. I'm having a rough night with my PTSD and depression. He's always been such a great comfort to me. I feel a lot of guilt over struggling so much with my mental health like this. Even though I try to put on a happy face and try to act "normal," he's so intuitive, like everyone is saying shelties are. He just knows these things.
Henri, you are dealing with an awful lot...having watched both my Father and one of our sons deal with severe depression that at times required time in the hospital I know how hard depression makes it to function...and you add PTSD to that and it must at times seems impossible. I hope you can find a way not to feel guilty...none of what life has and is handling you is your fault and much of what life hands us we can't change. Donovan knows you love him and in the overall picture for Donovan that is all that matters. Many hugs to you and your precious boy and I hope cooler weather will give Donovan comfort and extra time.
Trini
 
Okay, If you want to try a trick my grandfather said they used when he was a kid (He said it helped a little in a small area) He told me this when I was young and he was reminiscing "About the good old days"

His Mom would take a shallow pan and a large chunk of ice and place it in front of a fan so the air would blow across the ice, making the air cooler.

I don't see how this would make much of a temperature change but you never know. Continued prayers and best wishes sent to you both.
that is the principle behind those little portable air conditioners that you can buy these days. doubt it could cool a whole room but someone sitting next to it......
 
Oxygen4Pets - In Home Oxygen Therapy for Dogs and Cats
https://oxygen4pets.com/

Gloria...that looks really good, but unfortunately it is expensive to get the equipment. I googled for prices and the in home machines seem to start at $299 and some go as high as almost a thousand dollars. For many the only way they could afford to get a machine is if they could rent one from their vet...if their vet had them to rent out. But no harm in asking a vet just in case this is a service they would provide when a pet is too stressed to be brought into the vet's. Just out of interest I am going to ask our vet hospital if they do carry a couple of these units to rent out for in home oxygen therapy. Thanks for posting this video and info.
Trini
 
Gloria...that looks really good, but unfortunately it is expensive to get the equipment. I googled for prices and the in home machines seem to start at $299 and some go as high as almost a thousand dollars. For many the only way they could afford to get a machine is if they could rent one from their vet...if their vet had them to rent out. But no harm in asking a vet just in case this is a service they would provide when a pet is too stressed to be brought into the vet's. Just out of interest I am going to ask our vet hospital if they do carry a couple of these units to rent out for in home oxygen therapy. Thanks for posting this video and info.
Trini
I wonder if you had pet insurance if it would cover the cost.
You would think if you can rent Oxygen machines for humans it should be available for rent for our pets!
 
Back
Top