Diarrhea: Go to vet or wait it out?

I'm back. Vet said everything still looks good. He also said no sub-q fluids and he's hydrated well. He was 1/2 lb lighter, but he didn't eat breakfast. I just finished feeding Miko, this is the first time he finished all his food.

I got a topical for his sore on his side (from sliding around and hitting the tile). It's a antibiotic/steroid. The vet didn't want to give him anything that could upset his GI system. I was supposed to get the fiber food, but realized I forgot. I think I have some of Koji's I can give him. Otherwise, I may have to go back. Ugh!

The vet suggested I continue his metronidazole and keep an eye on him to see if he's more off balance. He seems more "normal" last night, today, even though it drove me bonkers. I'm also getting something to help him sleep at night. I guess it's more of a sedative to alleviate any anxiety and calm him down (to sleep). We're going to try a very small amount and see if it helps, or if it causes any issues.

Here's a cool thing, the vet didn't have the right pill/dosage for the sedative, so he called it in to a company so they can make a liquid form of it. It's down the street from me and I'll go pick it up as soon as it's ready. Weird, but kinda neat. Better than going to a pharmacy, I guess.

Right now, Miko is sleeping. Probably exhausted from the drive and visit. Which means, time for me to try and sleep too. Too bad I'm wide awake.

Oh, I asked about his quality of life. The vet would like to get the diarrhea under control and let him gain his strength back...assuming that happens, before I make any big decisions. We decided on the sedative so both he and I can sleep more soundly.

I'll keep everyone posted. And seriously, thank you. I appreciate this so much. I need the support. And the rest.
 
Thinking of you Cheryl. I have some idea of what you are going through and it is very very tough. :hugs

Good to hear though the vet thinks there are positives and the sedative should help.

Hope you get some sleep and things look brighter in the morning. We're all here for you :hugs
 
Thanks.

Oh yeah. The only downside of the sedative, there's no studies about how it'll affect his kidney disease, so it's a total crap shoot. But yes, the vet sounds positive and did say euthanasia is something to think about if he's not sleeping well, waking up disoriented all the time could take its toll on him too, etc.

I think I lucked out with the vet. They have been super wonderful and answering all my questions, etc.

I got some sleep, I think I got a 2 hour nap in there. And now it's time to take care of Koji (he wants to go out).
 
Sending good thoughts to you for Miko, Cheryl. I hope you both get some rest now and things improve. I'm so happy you have a vet you like and trust. That can make all the difference. Sleep well and pats to Miko! :hugs
 
Sending good thoughts to you for Miko, Cheryl. I hope you both get some rest now and things improve. I'm so happy you have a vet you like and trust. That can make all the difference. Sleep well and pats to Miko! :hugs

X2 Ann took the words right out of my mouth. Hope you and Miko have an uneventful evening a get a great night's sleep. :hugs
 
I could use some quality sleep that lasts for more than an hour. :) Fingers crossed that the sedative works, but doesn't harm him.
 
I gave Miko his sedative about 40 mins ago. He seems fine. Fingers crossed this helps us all.

He also pooped a few hours ago, it was quite hilarious, there I am, following him, with a pee pad wrapped around his legs, under his tail, and holding it up to catch whatever may fall (think of those horse catchers, but I'm doing the work, hehe). Two pieces, and yay, formed and firm. Let's hope he's on the mend.

I'm off to bed. Here's hoping I can get at least 4-5 hours of continuous sleep. Please!!! :fl
 
Well, I dunno if the sedative worked. Went to bed at 1am. Was up by 3am helping Miko stand up. Now, he didn't seem as stressed by not being able to get up and he just did his circling before lying back down. He didn't seem any more off-balance than normal (not diarrhea normal, normal normal), so that's two positive things.

But then I was up at 3:30, 4, 5, and 5:30. Between the last two times, he had pooped. Couldn't tell you what it was like as he stepped in it then lied down in it. :ick So someone got a partial bath and I had to clean up. After that though, I got to sleep until about 7, then 8. Finally got up to throw towels into the laundry and then Miko proceeded to pee (I didn't put his diaper back on, oops).

He ate breakfast, mostly by himself. The food has been kinda mushy, so he gets tired faster. It's when I hold up his back end for him. Balance wise, he is doing a LOT better. He's walking around the house more. I called him from down the hall to eat breakfast and he came straight to me and into the kitchen.

He's also sleeping more on his stomach, than his side, so he's able to get up by himself. I mean, his rear end is still weak, but he can get up.

It seems he's doing better this morning. I may go back to bed for a few more hours. I'm sure if he gets stuck he'll wake me up. Fingers crossed that this improvement continues. He seems more like himself today. :fl
 
Glad to hear things are better today with Miko. :smile2: Hopefully now he's eating more he will be feeling stronger and more steady and you will both be able to settle and get some much needed rest.

Regarding the sedative potentially affecting his kidneys, I think you have to look at the short term benefits over the possible longer term consequences in this kind of situation and that is for you as well as him.

Hope things continue to improve. :hugs
 
Miko has been asleep for a few hours straight. I wish I could have gotten some solid sleep, but they're doing work on the apt next to me, so I hear knocking/pounding and sawing. Dangit! Kept waking me up!!! :rolleyes2:

He just woke up. Although he's a bit off-balance when he first wakes up, he finds it pretty fast by himself. That gives me hope that he's recovering.



Regarding the sedative potentially affecting his kidneys, I think you have to look at the short term benefits over the possible longer term consequences in this kind of situation and that is for you as well as him.

I agree. I think if it helps him stay more calm and less panicky when he wakes up and can't get up, it's easier on him. Hopefully this will also help him with being up at night and sleeping during the day (the vet said that they use this med for senior dogs that have that issue too - when the dark keeps them up). He still does his circling thing, granted, I think that's because it's hard for him to just sit down (arthritis and all).
 
Back
Top