Diarrhea: Go to vet or wait it out?

Maybe wait another day or two. I've found with an older dog it does take a bit longer to recover. It's a good sign that he is only going once a day now and that he has an appetite again. He might need another round of medication! Praying he's better soon.
 
It does sound like he's improving, but because of his age and health issues I'd give the vet's office a call tomorrow and update them, just in case they'd want to change something. It can't hurt. Is he getting enough fluids? That's so important.
 
It does sound like he's improving, but because of his age and health issues I'd give the vet's office a call tomorrow and update them, just in case they'd want to change something. It can't hurt. Is he getting enough fluids? That's so important.

I vote subQ fluids too- Can't hurt-could really help...
 
Thanks everyone. I know the vet is going to check up with me tomorrow. He's actually been eating really well and drinking enough for me to be happy. I honestly don't think he needs sub-Q fluids.

Here's the latest...I went out, came home, found him lying next to the fireplace with blood smeared all over the ground. Because Miko can't stand up, he flops around. And I found out, he broke two nails (not badly, but enough to bleed) and he rubbed his skin raw, at his shoulder bone, on the sharp edge of the tiles. :(

My poor old man. He was shaking so badly. But my mom rubbed his head until he stopped shaking and fell asleep. I had one last tramadol, so I gave that to him, I know he's in pain. He's sleeping now. Gawd, I feel so bad. I moved things to block the fireplace tiles. Sigh. I wish I could bandage it up somehow, but not sure how I would. It's like the size of a quarter.

Hopefully his tummy is doing better. But we'll see. He's just exhausted.

ETA: My mom said Miko is sick and therefore needs a blanket. Here's my boy with a huge blanket. I doubt he cares, but okay, Grandma said so. She cracks me up. But I'm glad she loves my dogs.
 
Last edited:
Gosh, sorry I was away when this came up. I would actually be concerned about bloody poop when he is on medication. It could be an indication that the meds are irritating his stomach and he can easily get an ulcer if that continues.

You should be seeing some reduction in the blood by now if the metronazole was going to work. I would definitely get onto the vet, you may need a few days of Losec which is for ulcers. Tully had a similar issue recently, as she is also on meds for her arthritis the vet didn't muck around and put her on Losec straight away, it cleared up immediately.

I'd also be having a chat with the vet about putting him on some medication to protect the stomach lining. Both mine take it when they have their NSAID. I use carafate - they take it 1/2hr before their meds without food and it forms a gel layer around the stomach to protect it from irritation. It is very easy to give as it crushes into a powder so I can mix it in with some fluid (milk) or put it into a small bit of food - they can't taste it.

Seriously, don't put off the vet if he still has blood in his stools - after Deska's bout of haemorrhagic gastroenteritis I know how quickly things can worsen.
 
I tend to agree with Caro. I guess it's possible that the meds take longer to work in older dogs, but I would think you'd see more improvement by now. The day we started Lexi on the metro (she was also taking pro-pectalin) she stopped pooping for 2 days.
 
I never really thought about it taking longer to work because he's older, but that makes sense. Last night, was the first night he didn't poop. However, he did later this morning sometime (I wasn't home). It was a bit soft at first, but the rest was firm. Yay. Still a bit red (first part), but overall, regular color and firm to the point of holding it's shape. So it looks like things are getting better in that area.

The only "sad" area now, is that when he stands up, he's so off balance, he can't stand and he can barely walk. I have to hold him up when he eats. His hind legs are super weak. I'm just glad his appetite has been good, so he hopefully will get his strength back soon. Poor guy. He just sleeps. But that's good. He needs it.
 
Last edited:
Glad to hear he is doing better.

Happy his appetite is good, that is so important.

About the sleeping, I agree that it is a good thing, he needs it.

Our Mally has slept a lot all through his years. He is now 8 1/2. (always has liked his naps).

Please continue to update us on how he is doing. Thanks.
 
I never really thought about it taking longer to work because he's older, but that makes sense. Last night, was the first night he didn't poop. However, he did later this morning sometime (I wasn't home). It was a bit soft at first, but the rest was firm. Yay. Still a bit red (first part), but overall, regular color and firm to the point of holding it's shape. So it looks like things are getting better in that area.

The only "sad" area now, is that when he stands up, he's so off balance, he can't stand and he can barely walk. I have to hold him up when he eats. His hind legs are super weak. I'm just glad his appetite has been good, so he hopefully will get his strength back soon. Poor guy. He just sleeps. But that's good. He needs it.

Um you should talk with your vet. Neuro signs are a side effect of Metronidazole on occasion. But with kidney failure/disease increased weakness can be a sign of electrolyte imbalance, increased azotemia(BUN and crea elevation though usually appetite goes to heck) or dehydration. Even though he is drinking with diseased kidney they sometimes can't keep up after an episode of diarrhea. Kidney disease can also easily cause GI ulcers. I don't mean to scare you but holding your dog up to eat should warrant a trip into the vet for bloodwork in my opinion.
 
Um you should talk with your vet. Neuro signs are a side effect of Metronidazole on occasion. But with kidney failure/disease increased weakness can be a sign of electrolyte imbalance, increased azotemia(BUN and crea elevation though usually appetite goes to heck) or dehydration. Even though he is drinking with diseased kidney they sometimes can't keep up after an episode of diarrhea. Kidney disease can also easily cause GI ulcers. I don't mean to scare you but holding your dog up to eat should warrant a trip into the vet for bloodwork in my opinion.

Thanks Dr. Shelli. He's off balance when he wakes up a lot. Typically, I just have him lean against the fridge when he eats, so it is somewhat "normal".

However, after his soft, but formed poop this afternoon, it's back to diarrhea, so I'll be calling the vet and letting them know everything that is going on. If he's to go back in, I will make the trek.

For now, I'm watching him pretty much 24/7. And losing sleep over it. LOL. Seriously, I'm like a mom. Sleeping on the couch, so I can be closer to him, etc.
 
Back
Top