Dog Names....

We are hoping that a little boy will be born in May for us.
We won't decide for sure until we have the little guy in our arms, but so far the list has:

Baker (hubby's dad & uncle were bakers)
Symon (I love chef Michael Symon)
Noah (this little guy will "save" me, after losing Trace in January)

Trace (a bi-blue) was after Trace Adkins - registered as "Trace Sings The Blues"

Someone mentioned earlier that they didn't like "plain names" like Toby. We had all kinds of unique & interesting names when we picked him up from the Shelter, because "Buddy Love" had to go. But after about 10 minutes we knew he was a Toby...:smile2:
 
I named Bailey after my first sheltie Brandy. I used the old Jewish naming tradition of using the first letter from the name of someone who passed. Not only did I use the letter "B" to honor Brandy, I also decided to go with another alcoholic name as another way to honor her memory.

If you want to do something similar by naming the puppy after Bacca, how about choosing another "B" name? Or a name with a similar meaning; like something to do with wine? Since Bacca was named after a Roman God of wine, what about the Greek God of wine? The Greek God of wine is is Dionysus, so you could do with Dion? Or how about another Roman God name? I personally like Apollo for Roman Gods. And according to Wikipedia ( I know, not the most reputable source), but Apollo is Bacchus' sibling.

Here's a list of Roman Gods:

Jupiter - King of the Gods
Juno - Queen of the Gods
Neptune - God of the Sea
Pluto - God of Death
Apollo - God of the Sun
Diana - Goddess of the Moon
Mars - God of War
Venus - Goddess of Love
Cupid - God of Love
Mercury - Messenger of the Gods
Minerva - Goddess of Wisdom
Ceres - The Earth Goddess
Proserpine - Goddess of the Underworld
Vulcan - The Smith God
Bacchus - God of Wine
Saturn - God of Time
Vesta - Goddess of the Home
Janus - God of Doors
Uranus and Gaia - Parents of Saturn
Maia - Goddess of Growth
Flora - Goddess of Flowers
Plutus - God of Wealth
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/roman/
 
Last edited:
I have a cat, Apollo. He is an old soul, a gentle one. I also have Zeus who is a total terror! He can be a great guy or massive jerk. Pandora is my curious little troublemaker. Choose your god wisely! They channel the god, I speak from experience!
 
Wolf names:
Connor, wolf lover ( Irish)

Connor is also used in Scottish names as well because of the Gaelic root for both Irish and Scottish cultures. Connor MacLeod of the Highlander film is a great example of this.

The name actually comes from the Gaelic 'Coachuhhar' (pronounced Conchobar) meaning "Wolf Kin", "Lover of Wolves" or "Lover of Hounds".

It's one of the names I actually considered for the puppy I'm on a waiting list for. I decided on "Duncan" (from the Highlander TV show) instead which means "Brown Warrior".
 
Someone mentioned earlier that they didn't like "plain names" like Toby. We had all kinds of unique & interesting names when we picked him up from the Shelter, because "Buddy Love" had to go. But after about 10 minutes we knew he was a Toby...:smile2:

Yep, I have a cat named Percy because he came to me with the name Pensacola, and that is too much to say at one time. (And good name for a city, not so much for a cat) Although there is some humor in thinking Pensacola is too long when I have another cat named Evil Purrfessor Little Puss.
 
If you want to do something similar by naming the puppy after Bacca, how about choosing another "B" name? Or a name with a similar meaning; like something to do with wine? Since Bacca was named after a Roman God of wine, what about the Greek God of wine? The Greek God of wine is is Dionysus, so you could do with Dion? Or how about another Roman God name? I personally like Apollo for Roman Gods. And according to Wikipedia ( I know, not the most reputable source), but Apollo is Bacchus' sibling.

I love the name Dion! Apollo is grate too, and has a grate origin for this situation. But personally, of those two I like I like Dion best. It reminds me of my favorite picture of Bacca in his lion king pose (ya know, lion Dion).:wink2:

http://sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=491&pictureid=5608
 
Luca (or Lucca or Luka) -- bringer of light.

We have been to Lucca in Italy and it was the prettiest town we saw on that trip - it has a wall that runs around the whole town that is a lovely walk. I think of that more as a girls name though.
 
Back
Top