Ear's a little tip!

I wouldn't be surprised if she was the first sheltie your vet saw with braced ears. :biggrin2: My dogs and my friends dogs were the only ones the staff had seen braced. Don't worry about taking it out for your vet unless there is a prblem. It'll be a bigger pain to take it out just for that. I also tell people I didn't do anything to the ears, I'm just holding them in place.

I liked to have had a fit in the vet's office yesterday when Fluffy went to get her shots. There is a sign before you ever walk into the vet's office that clearly states "All Animals Must Be Leashed Or Contained". They even have free leashes you can use while you are there. Some guy came in with his bouncy Jack Russell, and it was all in Fluffy's business. :mad: I want to socialize her, but I'm not trying to do that at the vet's office! I don't know the reason his dog is in there! ARG! :mad:

In other news :uhoh: everybody thinks it is a headband. Several people told me I should put a bow in her hair, and then nobody will know that it's an ear brace.
 
My vet is so used to seeing mine with their ears done its no big deal. He's very interested in how they are done (he breeds boxers so he does the ear crop thing). My vet even knows how to slightly move the ears so he can see in them...I tell ya im in love with this man....hes the best!!:biggrin2:
 
My vet is so used to seeing mine with their ears done its no big deal. He's very interested in how they are done (he breeds boxers so he does the ear crop thing). My vet even knows how to slightly move the ears so he can see in them...I tell ya im in love with this man....hes the best!!:biggrin2:

Everybody gets interested in her ears, too. That is until they realize it isn't some kind of headband. When they figure out it isn't a headband they get very upset.

He kind of looked inside her ears a little bit, but mostly seemed put out with them. :rolleyes2:
 
When I first brought Bailey in, the vet techs asked what it was. I think the vet asked too. I just explained and none of them gave me a problem. Just a "oh I thought it was a bow or oh ok."
 
Im confused.. whats with the ear gluing,bracing, getting tipped??
Is this just for show dogs... or is there a health reason for this?? Do I need to look into doing this? I kinda like how my puppies ears are kinda floppy. Anyone want to explain this to me? ( as you can tell i am ignorant on the subject).

Thank You in advance!:yes:
 
There are a lot of people out there who don't understand the whole ear gluing thing and when you explain it to them, they look at you like you'd just beaten your dog.
When I have youngsters, I take them with me in a dog stroller to the monthly flea market for socialization (once they've had all their shots), and I had to start taking the glue out before going to the flea market to prevent the endless harrassment :rolleyes2:
 
People always comment "oh, the bow is so cute!". I explain that it is the same as braces on a childs teeth. We do this, to set the ears correctly, and it enhances and softens the "expression". Correct ears frame the face, just like a frame enhances a picture.
 
Im confused.. whats with the ear gluing,bracing, getting tipped??
Is this just for show dogs... or is there a health reason for this?? Do I need to look into doing this? I kinda like how my puppies ears are kinda floppy. Anyone want to explain this to me? ( as you can tell i am ignorant on the subject).

Thank You in advance!:yes:

There is no health reason. It's the astetic. i have read in some places that ears that aren't tipped can get infections easier but I have no idea if that is true or not. I am doing it to enhance her look, like braces on a kid's teeth.

I do know that a dog with untipped ears falls outside the 'standard' of what AKC expects thus if you have two identical dogs, one with ears tipping over properly and the other standing up, the tipped eared dog would win. If I read the standard correctly, straight ears are not a disqualifier but every sheltie I've seen in the show ring has tipped ears. I know a breeder/shower that sold one of his best dogs because he could not get her ears to tip correctly.
 
There is no health reason. It's the astetic. i have read in some places that ears that aren't tipped can get infections easier but I have no idea if that is true or not. I am doing it to enhance her look, like braces on a kid's teeth.

I do know that a dog with untipped ears falls outside the 'standard' of what AKC expects thus if you have two identical dogs, one with ears tipping over properly and the other standing up, the tipped eared dog would win. If I read the standard correctly, straight ears are not a disqualifier but every sheltie I've seen in the show ring has tipped ears. I know a breeder/shower that sold one of his best dogs because he could not get her ears to tip correctly.

Thank You for responding to my question..:smile2:
 
A few people here mentioned a string to brace the ears. How does that work? :confused2: Is the string brace harder to change out?
 
Back
Top