Ear's a little tip!

Mind you, there is a trick to getting prick ears to tip for the ring - you fold the tip over, then fold the sides in then rub a little. It generally stays down long enough to get through judging. So its not so bad if the ears are pricked a bit, but hound dog ears there is very little that can be done for them.

Tully had one tipped ear and one prick for a long time so I had to do this, but then just before her second bday the other ear decided to tip on its own. Deska's ears went hound dog when he grew his mane - it ws so huge the hair around the ears weighed them down, and I didnt do anything about fixing it early enough. Up until 9mths his ears tipped perfectly, after that the hair took over.

Health wise, prick ears are better than floppy ears as more air can circulate so they dont get as smelly. Also, Deska's hound dog ears tend to get more grass seeds in them than Tullys.
 
Correct ears, as described in the standard actually are the healthiest. The idea being that rain and snow could not get down and into the ear because of the slight tip. The slight tipping also keeps the inside of the cup area from being cut when moving through brush, and deter insects from entering and biting the soft skin. The cup part of the ear acts to inhance sounds.
 
Ear brace down!

Ear brace down! Ear brace down! All units respond! We have the dog surrounded! Ear brace down!

:lol:

I'll have to wait to fix it until tomorrow though. I forgot to pick up some of the remover stuff the other day. I'll pick some up tonight. Her ears are still taped, but the brace fell out of one ear.
 
Deja's popped out Sunday. We got them fixxed Wednesday and they popped again yesterday. Back to the friend's tonight for another glueing..
 
Im confused.. whats with the ear gluing,bracing, getting tipped??
Is this just for show dogs... or is there a health reason for this?? Do I need to look into doing this? I kinda like how my puppies ears are kinda floppy. Anyone want to explain this to me? ( as you can tell i am ignorant on the subject).

Thank You in advance!:yes:

I'm not a breeder and I don't show conformation but I know a number of people who do; including those on this forum.

One thing I've learned from talking to various breeders about different breeds of dogs is that if the standard calls for something like doced ears/tail, tipped ears, etc. there IS some reason for it even if that reason doesn't apply to the modern day animal. As missjenneygirl stated, the reason for tipping a Sheltie's ear goes back to them working in the fields. It was supposed to help keep them free of the elements (like little umbrellas) and enhance the hearing.

Is it required that you tip your dog's ear? Only if you plan on doing confirmation work. If the pup is just a companion animal or performance dog then it's not necessary.

If I get another pup I know I'll tip the ears because I LOVE the look of the tipped ears vs. the pick ears. I have two people who will help me with it also - my breeder and my groomer - so I know it will be done right.
 
String is my favorite way. You get mole skin, cut out a piece for the tip of the ear, and lower on the ear. You punch a small hole in each of the lower pieces, and run a piece of yarn through. Glue the lower piece to the lower part of the ear. Glue the other pieces to the tips. Then glue the tip piece to the lower piece, and then just pull the ears up nice and high and tie your yarn in a nice bow to keep them there. It's nice... you can adjust it (since you can untie it), and they don't tear it up as easily as they do the tape. It also doesn't rip out hair like hair to hair does
 
Where does everybody buy their Japanese tape? Jeniffer only charged me $3.50 for a roll. I bought two rolls online, and they were $8.00 each. :eek2: I got two.


Also, anybody have any experience with Goo Gone (I think that was the name. It was goo something) for taking the glue out?
 
WOW 3.50 for a roll is cheap I order mine online at wicketsbymel. I think its like $8 or so...I havent ordered in about a year or so. I use unisolve or zoeze however the tape pretty much peels right off. I just use the remover for any residual stickeyness left in the ear after the tape cames out.
 
Where does everybody buy their Japanese tape? Jeniffer only charged me $3.50 for a roll. I bought two rolls online, and they were $8.00 each. :eek2: I got two.


Also, anybody have any experience with Goo Gone (I think that was the name. It was goo something) for taking the glue out?

If you ask the pharmacy at Walmart they can order you a bottle of Detachol. That is where I got mine. Unless they stock it on the shelf,they will or should order it for you. I paid 18.00 for mine,fairly good size bottle.

Have'nt used it though,as I did at one time thought I would try this,but decided not to.I think I would have been more willing to try ear tipping,if I had the tape. The glue is a pain to get out of the ears.
I would'nt use Goo Gone,as (1) it's flameable~(2) it has an oder
Detachol has a pleasant scent,a little on the oily side.But is highly recommended~
 
Back
Top