Gypsy's blood tests are back

Oh Dawn, you really have had an annus horribilis with the pups health. I'm not much help with this, having only an older dog and cats that had kidney failure. I do recall switching them to a moist diet to help take some pressure off the kidneys.

Sending hugs your way.
 
I'm so sorry to hear this. I didn't know this could happen in dogs so young. All my thoughts are with you and Gypsy.
 
How's it going Dawn?

The vets office called and the food they ordered for Gypsy is in. I asked the vet tech to have the vet call me today so I had an extra day to do some research. I found an herbal Kidney supplement that has really excellent reviews on Petwellbeing.com called Tripsy. It's a liquid which I prefer because it's really hard getting Gypsy to take any pills and she didn't like the Vibrant pets in her food so I am also staying away from powders. i feel bad for Gypsy she barely wants to walk and is walking with her head down kind of hunched over and keeps coming up to me to carry her and she hates to be carried. The reviews on this supplement are saying people are seeing their pets more active within a week so I am hopeful it will help.

Thank you everyone for your concern,prayers and input. I'll let you know how I do after talking with the Vet. Any tests I will try and schedule for next week as the BF is having surgery Friday on his shoulder.
 
My first dog had kidney failure. She wasn't a sheltie but still the same symptoms. I did the special food and everything for awhile. Towards the end she went blind from it. I probably had her a good 6 months after the vet diagnosed her kidney failure. Hopefully yours isn't as far along as mine was and you will have more time with her.

My first sheltie died at the age of 8 with kidney failure. She was too far along to help - her symptoms were completely different from my first dog, I didn't realize anything that severe was wrong until it was too late.

Good luck and I'll keep you in my prayers.
 
I am so sorry to hear about the results also. Prayers coming for improvement with everything you are doing. Your little one is in the best of care. I'm no help at all with something like this, and I would imagine your thoughts are how and why did this happen? The thought on another post, is their a gene in the line, could be the answer. Just like humans, how and why? God only knows.

Positive thoughts all the way through this journey.
 
I do think it is inherited since she is a puppy mill dog. I'd like to meet that woman in a dark alley. I have seen her health inspections and violations. Just awful.
 
It's so hard. We love our puppy mill rescues, but we also recognize that what they were born into health-wise is simply unfair.
 
It's so hard. We love our puppy mill rescues, but we also recognize that what they were born into health-wise is simply unfair.

I wouldn't trade my Gypsy for anything. She's my baby girl. I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to take her when my neighbor no longer wanted her. I just want a better life for her. She has been sick in one way or another since I've had her. I would love to see her run from one end of the park to the other chasing a squirrel with Chandler. Just be free of pain.
 
It's so hard. We love our puppy mill rescues, but we also recognize that what they were born into health-wise is simply unfair.

Well... that can be argued both ways. We have an almost 14 year old Amish bred dog whose bloodwork just came back 100% perfect. There are also some breeds that I believe are healthier coming from non-show (read: non-AKC) stock. Dalmations and Standard Poodles are on that list.

I have been doing a lot of research on Juvenile Renal Disease, because of a non-sheltie litter I just heard about. In most breeds, JRD is a simple autosomal recessive. That recessive gene can hide for years, being passed down through generations without producing affected dogs. Then suddenly, you have three puppies in a litter with JRD. It's unfortunate that Shelties don't generally show clinical signs until they are 3-4 years old. By that point, they could have already been bred. If you have a less than honest breeder who is hiding health problems, or assumes it was a bad litter, and it couldn't possibly happen again, then it just keeps getting disbursed through the population.

JRD also tends to happen in clusters, with multiple puppies in a litter being affected. There were two that we knew about in my girls litter of 8.

Can you blame the breeder? Absolutely not. It doesn't matter where the dog came from because this gene is everywhere. There is no test, there is no marker. Even the most conscientious breeder can produce it, it's how they choose to handle it that sets them apart.

There is also a dominant gene known to cause JRD, it is known to be in Standard Poodles. The difference is that Spoodles are symptomatic between 3 and 6 months old.

With all that said, until they do a sonogram or biopsy, we don't know this is what Gypsy is dealing with. She could very well have acute kidney problems brought on by something else, that can hopefully be resolved with treatment.
 
I talked to the vet today and have Gypsy scheduled for a Cushings test and Urinalysis/Urine protein/Creatinine ratio test to see how much protein is being lost from the kidney and if Glumerlonephitis is present. She is not anemic so that's a plus. I'm hoping we caught the Kidney problem in the beginning and we will find the cause soon. She also started her RX diet today and actually ate it. YEAH!! I'll keep you all up to date.
 
Back
Top