Inappropriate Ads On SF

I'd suggest the same thing, leave internet explorer. I can't speak for chrome but I know firefox has add ons specifically for blocking advertising.

I personally use firefox and have all advertising on all web sites blocked.

It all boils down to the fact that Internet Explorer simply has inferior protection from adware/malware and phishing. You're pretty much leaving your computer open to be attacked if you're using Internet Explorer. I keep thinking Microsoft will improve it but they never do, they only add useless bells and whistles.

But for those who still don't want to leave Internet Explorer, the only way to reduce the ads is by buying a Premium Membership and ignoring the few ads that you still see and to make sure your computer is protected properly by antivirus/antimalware software.

Malwarebytes is good, free software for removing malware that can infect your computer with malicious ads and viruses.

Very well said, Melissa! The only thing I could personally add is that I too use Mozilla Firefox and do have EVERY ad blocked so I never miss-click or see any popups and ads. So this isn't a problem for me. If it is for you, I too would suggest leaving Internet Explorer and using a browser that allows you to download add-ons, like Ad Blocker, etc to use. I haven't seen a single ad in years on any of my computers sine and I love it. And no it doesn't put a big eye distracting X or anything like that where the ads are suppose to be, the ad space simply disappears all together and is removed. :)
 
I installed the Adblock Melissa mentioned. No more ads anywhere, not just on FN. Even no more ads for hotmail.
 
I am pleasantly surprised,and will eat my words. I had tried Firefox along time ago,and did not like it.
So I decided to give it a go again. I am now using it,have used it all morning,and I am really liking it. Also added the "addblock"...and so far not one ad has popped up.
So I shall officially eat my words..:uhoh:
 
The ads I've been seeing are a bit racy in the pictures. Advertising skimpy dressed big boob Asian girls isn't something that should be on a site that should be family friendly unless we are all of a sudden catering to the porn viewing types who are looking for quick easy hookups. The ads I have seen aren't the tamer match dating site type ads :/ I take it you haven't seen these.

I finally saw an ad pop up today on my browser for one of these sites - just not the one you mentioned. I agree, the photos are racy and not appropriate for any younger visitors, so I have blocked both the one I saw today and the one previously mentioned. Please let me know if any of you see any others crop up.

Ad blocking reduces the number of ads served on SN. The previously discussed ad blocker software also reduces the number of ads served to SN viewers. If you currently do not suppory the site (but love it here) and use this blocking software, it would be great if you could try and support SN in other ways. :smile2: As always, thank you to all our members!
 
Hmm, I was going to complain that I don't see any ads.
But then as a longtime Firefox user who's switched to Chrome, I am probably more familiar with Extensions/Add-Ons.

I am running Chrome with the following Chrome Extensions:

Script-No
Ghostery
AdBlock
Vanilla

I see nothing but the website itself.
However, since I use the site and want to support it, I will allow ads to be shown.
I honestly don't know what most people see when they are surfing, but it sure sounds like a royal pain.
Both Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are able to block ad's, block tracking, etc., quite simply.
And one can enable ad's on particular sites you want to support.

Do any want to see a thread on that?
 
I ignore the ads....I would only be concerned if I thought that these ads had some way of hacking me....and only if I'm stupid enough to open them.

I do get a kick out of some ads on other social network sites....my favourite on FB, which does know my age.....The top 10 places before I die! Of course, the wrinkle ads are always good too....just to remind me how old I am! Thanks FB!
 
Back
Top