Puppy Picking

Margi

Premium Member
I have the good fortune to get first pick of the puppies the breeder is not keeping to grow out for show. This means a choice between probably 3 pups (2 girls and a boy). I would like to give obedience and/or agility a try, now that I am retired and have all the time in the world to train.

So are there any agility folks here that have any tips for picking a good agility prospect or is it just too early to tell at 8 weeks?
 
I have the good fortune to get first pick of the puppies the breeder is not keeping to grow out for show. This means a choice between probably 3 pups (2 girls and a boy). I would like to give obedience and/or agility a try, now that I am retired and have all the time in the world to train.

So are there any agility folks here that have any tips for picking a good agility prospect or is it just too early to tell at 8 weeks?

Oh so exciting, good luck :D
I am sure the breeder will help you, too!
I recommend to look for a sound dog, so I'd always go for temperament, the pup that is outgoing, not afraid of sound and eager to try out new things and to interact.
Usually you would prefer a drivey dog.
Good movement and ability to cover ground is also important when it comes to physical preferences.

those are a couple of things I'd look for now.
Can't wait to see and hear more about the selection you're going to make :pop
 
Oh so exciting, good luck :D
I am sure the breeder will help you, too!
I recommend to look for a sound dog, so I'd always go for temperament, the pup that is outgoing, not afraid of sound and eager to try out new things and to interact.
Usually you would prefer a drivey dog.
Good movement and ability to cover ground is also important when it comes to physical preferences.

those are a couple of things I'd look for now.
Can't wait to see and hear more about the selection you're going to make :pop
completely agree. I always go for the ones more outgoing (I only do agility) and I like the feisty ones.. but that is just me :biggrin2:
 
It kind of depends on how serious you want to be about the sport you participate in. To begin with, if you are choosing from the non-conformation potential dogs, you may find yourself looking at dogs with structural faults.

Some of the faults won't hurt you if you do agility, and some will really limit how far you can go. I've seen dogs with structural faults excel (obviously depending on what it is, and the severity) and I've seen dogs with structural faults break down very early, which is difficult to watch happen to your dog, your friend, and your partner.

So I would say, ask that your breeder be up front about why the puppies that are left are not conformation material. Do they have prick ears? Or round eyes? Or an underbite? All of these things would make them "pet only" but won't necessarily hurt their performance potential.

Or, do they have very straight fronts? Or a poor topline? These things can indicate an issue that may crop up as you put more wear and tear on their bodies by competing.

I know that sounds very serious, and it may not be relevant to someone just dabbling in the sport...but I know from experience how addicting dog sports can be :) And it's very hard to face a serious injury or having to quit or watching your dog get hurt knowing you could have prevented it.

As far as temperament, yes, an outgoing, non-noise sensitive dog is a good choice. But you also want one that is interested in you, and what you're doing. I like to use the word "biddable", meaning while the dog is drivey and excitable, they aren't over the top, and they care what you want as much as what they find fun/rewarding.

I think this is a good article that describes one person's methods: http://justineleo.net/articles/picking the agility puppy.htm
 
Thank you for all the great input! And that article was very informative. I would never have thought of sound sensitivity being a problem for agility. And I will be sure to ask about any structural issues in the companion pups. The boy is not being kept because she has enough boys--I knew that the day they were born. One girl is probably going to have too much white. She is a reputable breeder, has been for long time. Just saying so you don't think this is some backyard deal! I know better than that :wink2:
 
Thank you for all the great input! And that article was very informative. I would never have thought of sound sensitivity being a problem for agility. And I will be sure to ask about any structural issues in the companion pups. The boy is not being kept because she has enough boys--I knew that the day they were born. One girl is probably going to have too much white. She is a reputable breeder, has been for long time. Just saying so you don't think this is some backyard deal! I know better than that :wink2:
If that is the only issue with them, another thing to consider is with agility they jump based on their sizes. depending on which venue of agility you want to do depends on the jump height. Like for me, I do AKC and my female who is 9 is 14.5 inches and she has to jump 16 since she's over 14. So, that is a bit of a jump for her, but she can do it. Where, the puppy I am getting is expected to be a little big, most likely 17 inches like his mom. He would still also jump 16, but it wouldn't be a big jump for him at all.
 
If that is the only issue with them, another thing to consider is with agility they jump based on their sizes. depending on which venue of agility you want to do depends on the jump height. Like for me, I do AKC and my female who is 9 is 14.5 inches and she has to jump 16 since she's over 14. So, that is a bit of a jump for her, but she can do it. Where, the puppy I am getting is expected to be a little big, most likely 17 inches like his mom. He would still also jump 16, but it wouldn't be a big jump for him at all.

Well, I wouldn't base everything on size unless you know when/where you're competing. I compete in a different venue (USDAA) and I would really prefer NOT to have a dog over 16". 17" is the kiss of death in USDAA because you either have to jump 22" (really high), or compete in performance (which is a different category), and it's a very competitive class around here.
 
Well, I wouldn't base everything on size unless you know when/where you're competing. I compete in a different venue (USDAA) and I would really prefer NOT to have a dog over 16". 17" is the kiss of death in USDAA because you either have to jump 22" (really high), or compete in performance (which is a different category), and it's a very competitive class around here.
That's why I said it depended on the venue, because it really does. I only do AKC though but I knew USDAA was like that which would be really tough to do to a sheltie that is oversize. Plus, guessing sizes with puppies are nearly impossible until they're a little older.
 
That's why I said it depended on the venue, because it really does. I only do AKC though but I knew USDAA was like that which would be really tough to do to a sheltie that is oversize. Plus, guessing sizes with puppies are nearly impossible until they're a little older.

Oops! Sorry I missed that part, it's too early for me :)

But actually, if a breeder knows the lines well they usually have a good indication of size by 7-8 weeks. (Of course, nothing is ever guaranteed!)
 
The breeder said something about weighing and measuring at 8 weeks, but I don't know what criteria breeders use to guesstimate size. I prefer a tad smaller, and if I'm reading this right the dogs under 14 would get to jump a lower height?
 
Back
Top