Seminars

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
How do you find out about seminars in your area? Your club? Trainer? Word of mouth?

I'm curious because it seems a lot of you back east have a lot of different seminars. I hate to say it, but so far, I only know about the Derrett's, just saw my club post about Daisy Peel, and my club hosts one with Jennifer Krank. Now, granted I know no idea who they are (beyond Derrett), but it doesn't mean they're not good. But I'd love to find out who is good, and maybe I can find out if they'll be in my area.

I know at the Derrett one last year, there were people there from Canada. So, I guess some travel might be involved too. Boo. Unfortunately, I know some people didn't care for J. Crank because it was too focused on beginner novices (not even experienced novices) and that's it. Any experience from any of you?
 
Both Daisy Peel and Jennifer Crank are amazing people to do a seminar with.
I'm not sure if they'd fit with your system though (Derrett). Jennifer Crank teaches straight APHS. However, I would say she is the best trainer I have ever been to. She has a real eye for what a dog is doing, is extremely knowledgeable, knows the how and why to do things, and presents it in a very understandable manner. She is an amazing teacher. That is one of her greatest strengths... She really has a knack for teaching. I have done both private lessons with Jennifer (drive 3.5 hours each way to do them) and seminars. My trainer trains with her weekly, and we are having another seminar with her at my trainers place this spring. Back in the late fall, she did a seminar with three different seminars offered- one novice, one on discriminations, and one for excellent level teams.
Often, I find out about seminars via word of mouth, or through going to trials where they have flyers out for various seminars.
 
Both Daisy Peel and Jennifer Crank are amazing people to do a seminar with.
I'm not sure if they'd fit with your system though (Derrett). Jennifer Crank teaches straight APHS. However, I would say she is the best trainer I have ever been to. She has a real eye for what a dog is doing, is extremely knowledgeable, knows the how and why to do things, and presents it in a very understandable manner. She is an amazing teacher. That is one of her greatest strengths... She really has a knack for teaching. I have done both private lessons with Jennifer (drive 3.5 hours each way to do them) and seminars.
Often, I find out about seminars via word of mouth, or through going to trials where they have flyers out for various seminars.

I agree with Stacey.My club has had Jen Crank and I was not able to attend but all I heard was raves about her.Lo Baker was incredible.I have trained with Karen Holik and Joan Myers.I belong to a few Yahoo groups and alot of seminars are listed on there and also like Stacey said at trials.
 
Training facility we go to, foryouk9, is probably biggest here in Chicagoland, offering just about anything and lots of seminars. We had Temple Grandin, Susanne Clothier is often visitor, Dr Jean Dodds, Nose work seminar , massage seminar just recently.
I am doing "Can you handle it?" with AgilityNerd Steve next Sun, then Karen Overall "from leashes to neurons" in April. Also am signing up for Katie Oilshlager 2 sessions on body awareness/core strenght and crate games and new seminar on reading doggie signals.
Susanne Clothier Shy/reactive dog seminar was huge hit I heard, wish I did not have to work that day...
yeah, word of mouth and connection to people in the know seems to be best way to learn about events.
 
Honestly we're so isolated here that I only attend seminars that our club puts on. I'm not sure how it works if you were to want to attend a seminar put on by another club. Our seminars open up first to club members, and typically fill up really quickly.

Also, I want to say that as exciting as it is to be able to go to seminars, really think about who you want to pay money to see. Do they fit your goals...do you have the time to spend working on specific things that they set out for you? Etc...
 
Honestly we're so isolated here that I only attend seminars that our club puts on. I'm not sure how it works if you were to want to attend a seminar put on by another club. Our seminars open up first to club members, and typically fill up really quickly.

Also, I want to say that as exciting as it is to be able to go to seminars, really think about who you want to pay money to see. Do they fit your goals...do you have the time to spend working on specific things that they set out for you? Etc...

I agree... I have heard from way more experienced handlers than I that in the beginning they spent too much on seminars and workshops they weren't ready for, lol. Plus some said it got them to move through things without doing some of the foundations first in other areas?
Having said that I just spent altogether over 250.00 for a seminar with Christine Krol, who is a member of team Canada world agility with her Kelpie. She's a great teacher apparently.
I am looking forward to the jump grids and body awareness workshop, which is sorely needed for Toffee, a handler seminar which is even more sorely needed for me and for fun we are doing a gamblers clinic and a fun match all in the same weekend.. I am PSYCHED!!!
 
How do you find out about seminars in your area? Your club? Trainer? Word of mouth?

This is a great question. The only way I have heard about seminars is through my trainer. Maybe there is another venue to find out about upcoming seminars in your area?
 
Up here in the wilds of Canada, I live and breath by CanuckDogs.com . I check it pretty much every day for events in my region (and I love that they post results too...not all, but some :winkgrin: ). It's a great one stop shop for all kinds of canine events!

And check out that gorgeous sheltie on the home page today!
 
Oooo....just realized something. I could just ask my club how to find out about these things. ;)

Also, I want to say that as exciting as it is to be able to go to seminars, really think about who you want to pay money to see. Do they fit your goals...do you have the time to spend working on specific things that they set out for you? Etc...

Very true. I did the Derrett and at the time, I think it was too early for Koji. However, by the time they came around again, that same class would be too "intro".

I am going to do more research on Daisy Peel and find out if she's what I need. The thing did say it was about contacts and other things, can't recall, but that's what I need. I'll probably still need it come August, but in case I don't, I'll have to be sure it will still work for me. I definitely need a seminar focused on what I need.

I'll check into some of these other people you have listed. But yes Ashley, usually clubs open it up to their people first, then go outside. Which means I probably wouldn't get a working spot.

Thanks everyone. BTW, I have never seen fliers nor people talking about seminars at trials. Boo. That or I'm just not sitting in the right places. I typically hear about things from my trainer, well, not true. She told me about last years Derrett one. But hasn't told me about any that she's gone to over the past year. Oh well.
 
I am one of the "forever students" I love learning new things so I value every seminar as opportunity to glimpse into something new and exiting. Extra knowledge is not heavy load to carry:lol:
I was debating if I should audit or work " Can you handle it ?" seminar with agilitynerd since it geared toward people with trial history but I am lucky I can ask my trainer's honest opinion so we got cleared ... am looking forward to next Sun!
one can always audit if one is not sure they ready for teaching now. As green handler I can say that trial and error is not a good plan to do agility, much better when one has a plan and strategy to keep consistency going...
 
Back
Top