Seminars

Daisy is very good for contacts. I would do a seminar with her it I were having contact issues. She can help with a running or 2o2o. Look on YouTube for her. Her Solar has one of the nicest running contacts I've seen
 
I hear about seminars through the center where we train and also through the club I belong to. When it comes to doing things through Enchantment where I train, they only give working spots to teams they think are ready to handle the seminar topic.

As an example, last May I really wanted a working spot in the Nancy Gyes seminar, but the training director wouldn't give her approval because she didn't think we were ready. I was disappointed, but took an auditing spot instead and after about 15 minutes of the workshop, I could see that she was exactly correct about our readiness.

There was still an open spot in that seminar and she could have taken my $$ and given me a spot, but she was concerned that I would be frustrated and wanted to give me the time to develop more as handler. I appreciate that.

Cheryl, I read Daisy's blog often and agree with Stacey about her ability with contacts. Also, because she runs with her dog more than some handlers, I think you may mesh well with her style. Check out her blog at daisypeel.com.
 
Up here in the wilds of Canada, I live and breath by CanuckDogs.com .

And check out that gorgeous sheltie on the home page today!

what a pretty girl :yes:

our club hosts seminars and so do other local clubs but as mentioned earlier, most clubs give first spots to members and then open to others.
Our club had a Stuart Mah seminar last Jan- I did not attend- 1) back then had no idea who he was and 2) didn't have an agility dog then- just a Cranpup :winkgrin:

I did attend the previous year's seminar by Julie Hill- Sat was obedience and Sun was agility- went to both but was able to apply the obedience stuff to Callie's rally trials.

Maybe next year's seminar will be something that we can benefit from :yes:
 
I'll just tack this on. Soo....just got this from my club.

Announcing multi-World Team member - Gerry Brown is coming to SoCal in June.
June 11-12 in Oceanside, CA
Sat - Obstacle Discrimination
Sun - Send and Run Skills / Speed Control aka "Open 'em up, close 'em down"

Do you think I should go see him? Or stick with Daisy Peel and contacts in August? Hmm.....lots of money either way!
 
Depends what you feel you need more help with. Do you need more help with acceleration/deceleration cues and obstacle discriminations or contacts? You may also want to consider if Gerry follows your system, as how one does things for each system could vary
 
Depends what you feel you need more help with. Do you need more help with acceleration/deceleration cues and obstacle discriminations or contacts? You may also want to consider if Gerry follows your system, as how one does things for each system could vary

It's hard to know where I'll be come June/August. lol. Ugh! Right now, I need more contact help. But what if my contacts are awesome come August? AUGH! Too far in advanced. No fair.

Hmmm....I'll have to think more about this and write another post about systems.
 
I'll just tack this on. Soo....just got this from my club.

Announcing multi-World Team member - Gerry Brown is coming to SoCal in June.
June 11-12 in Oceanside, CA
Sat - Obstacle Discrimination
Sun - Send and Run Skills / Speed Control aka "Open 'em up, close 'em down"

Do you think I should go see him? Or stick with Daisy Peel and contacts in August? Hmm.....lots of money either way!

I'm going to a Gerry Brown seminar this Sunday. I've heard good things about him from people who have trialed with him for years and also from those who attended his seminar here last spring. I'll let you know what I think after Sunday.
 
We have members of our club who know how to set up seminars with folks like Donna Rohaus, Susan Salo and Stuart Mah. The special seminars are usually discussed in our monthly members meetings. We also advertise them on Facebook, our Yahoo Group and our web site. (Since I'm the chair for our website committee, I tend to know about all the special events pretty early on.)

Donna usually offers a few classes in the fall/winter when her trial schedule is lighter. She'll offer a wide variety of 2 hour seminars focusing on contact, handling, weaves, etc.

We have a 3 day Susan Salo seminar coming up in April but I've decided against taking that. I'd have to take a day off from work and its just a little too expensive for me right now.

We also have Stuart scheduled to host a seminar in August which I DO hope I'll be able to attend. I missed him the last time our club arranged for a seminar. I don't have the dates or price for this yet.
 
I'm going to a Gerry Brown seminar this Sunday. I've heard good things about him from people who have trialed with him for years and also from those who attended his seminar here last spring. I'll let you know what I think after Sunday.

Oh very cool. Let me know. Also, let me know of his handling system, if he uses one (I can research this too).
 
Back
Top