Smudge - throwing up again.

Smudge

Forums Sage
Smudge hasn't thrown up in MONTHS. Now today he decides he wants to start it up again. :dead: I know these pictures might be a bit much, but I was hoping maybe somebody could tell if something was off just by looking at it.

Mods, if these pictures are too much please feel free to delete this thread.

He just threw up maybe 15 minutes ago, and he ate four hours ago. I just don't know what to do with him. :no: He's eating great now, but why is he throwing up again? :cry:

Two different vets could not find anything wrong with him, but at the time I took him to the vets for the throwing up he was refusing to eat. He is eating now, but he's throwing up again. They ran tests on him and everything.

He's a little over a year old.
 
Last edited:
poor guy

Gavin doesn't throw up much....but when he does he gets pepcid a/c which seems to help calm the tummy.

Oh..and the only time he had unidentified 'objects' in his vomit it was nasty...

I'd be worried about dehydration....i've tried pedialyte, but he didn't like it.
Chicken broth works well, cause it tastes good and has lots of salts.

Cindy
 
Its looks like a bit of food, but the rest of it looks like undigested rawhide. Its so white. Just an idea, if he barfs again, and it looks like this, scoop it up and take to the vets. They can microscope it for you. Maybe he ate something in the yard. Another thought, if you had a lot of rain, we had mushrooms growing in the yard, and if he ate those, that will make him sick too.

I don't give my two rawhide, but Lucky loved deer poop. What a mess that was to clean up. He only did that once, but I check the yard. Da## deer.

I feel really bad for you and Smudge going through this. Hopefully he gets straightened out for you.
 
Hard to tell -- and believe me, I've seen vomit. Let it go for a day or so -- make sure he has plenty of water. If it keeps up, then return to the vet. Remember: nothing throws up as casually as a Sheltie!v:rolleyes2:
 
One day of throw up is not an issue. It's only if it goes on for several days that you need to be concerned.

Indy was puking bile for about 2 weeks after his stomach surgery. All advice was to give him bedtime snacks. I did that for a few days, then kept forgetting to feed him than suddenly realized that he stopped puking up bile.

Guess he got over it. Don't get warped over a day or two of upchuck. Sometimes they just get into stuff that doesn't agree with them. It's only it goes on and on that you should raise the red flag.
 
Ours will toss the random meal every now and then, Jess, for no reason that we can find. Unless it continues, it's nothing to worry about. Maybe he ate some grass, or just ate too fast. If you're concerned, give him a lighter diet for the next day ... some boiled chicken or some baby food from the jar and rice. More than likely, he'll be fine. It does look like undigested food.

At the very least, I'd give him a lighter meal for the next one, mixed with water to soften it and make him eat a bit slower. You can add some cooked white rice to it too--more rice than kibble, just to be safe.
 
My concern is not just that Smudge threw up today. A few months ago I made several vists to different vets because Smudge was not eating and throwing up blood. The vet determined that Smudge did not have parvo, and that he was probably throwing up the blood because he had nothing on his stomach to throw up (since he was not eating) and that the stomach acid was eating his blood vessels.

The vet put him on prescription food, because Smudge would not eat anything else.

They never could determine why he was throwing up (it was the same consistency as in the picture - very, very thick). They gave him several different medicines, and none of them helped any. He continued to starve himself and throw up despite being on medicine. This was a period of about two months. He was so skinny. :(

He finally began to eat again, but he did throw up for a good while after that even. The vets still could not find anything wrong with him. This was a daily basis he was throwing up, almost.

He finally stopped for about two months, and now he threw up today. I'm going to watch and see what happens tomorrow, but we may be heading to the vet again Wednesday. :cry:

I deserve my own parking spot, dangit. :no:
 
this sounds serious

:confused2:

I'm gonna reiterate hydration.....poor baby must feel terrible!
I know 1 night of vomiting had Gavin very dehydrated as a pup and sub-q fluids really helped him.

sounds like he has something going on inside, though.

Sounds like you deserve your own lazy-boy in the waiting room AND a parking space at the vets!
 
ok, lets start in the beginning- he vomits 4 hrs after he ate? how often does he eat? is it same food all the time? what about threats?
Lets start with basic anatomy- food thrown up short time after eating and looking very undigested is coming from stomach itself, food that somewhat digested and comes about 4 hrs later is probably from small intestine upper parts, and anything that looks like fecal mass but still tooo moist is probably from lower digestive track, coming about 6-8 hrs after eating.
Stomach/ pancreatitis may give you what they call projectile vomiting when vomit flies a distance.
What you are concerned is how is Smudge otherwise- does he has same level of energy, is his tummy distended, is he pooping, when you touch and press on his tummy does he tell you it is painful, what his poop look like, does he drinks and eat still the same level he normally does, does he have a fever...
it may or may not be connected to the problem he used to have before.
Your pics show some large parts of something on the bottom... what is it?
Che just went with a bout of vomiting started after he digested few foreign objects, then he had vomited for 3 nights in a row... but otherwise he was his usual self... therefore we did not go to the vet...it stopped same way it started... but I can understand you, I was feeling anxious too...
 
Back
Top