The Yellow Dog Project

I think the discussions we've been having are very relavent to the YDP, because this is the background to the need for having something like this.

Labgirl is spot on - are irresponsible owners likely to take any more notice of a ribbon/jacket than a dog on a lead?

As I said in my first post, the idea worked well at the dog event I attended where the YDP had a stall - because people had seen the posters and there were a LOT of dogs wearing yellow. The very fact they were at the event indicates people there were probably more clued up on behaviour than a lot of average owners anyway.

As Hopeshelties and dblock are saying though if there is a situation where there are dogs on lead and dogs off lead mixing together there are going to be incidents and again, the yellow ribbon won't make much difference because it means nothing to the dog running over. If we were to have mandatory leash requirements then the YDP would be more effective - the 'space' jackets especially would mean owners had no excuse for letting their dog interefere with a dog wearing one. But I'm sure there would still be regular incidents even then with dogs on flexi leads etc and people not abiding by the regulation.

As a postscript to last week's incident with Epic, I was removing my note today as it's been up for a week and had Yogi with me on his lead. UNBELIEVABLY the same black labrador came charging up right into his face!! :eek2: :mad: I had to chase it away from Yogi! If I had not been just about to collect Jessica from school I would have gone over and said something to the owner as several people have told me the dog is a menace and never under control. Apparently it is well known for running up to other dogs on or off lead and even frightning small children when it charges over. :mad: Owners like this spoil it for everyone else. :cry:

Epic will continue to wear his yellow ribbon when out (he wears it at shows when queuing Sophie and I think it definitly does help) but I will still have to take the same precautions as I would without it.
 
To clarify one thing, my dogs DO NOT wander willy-nilly up to people when off lead. In fact Merlin ignores everyone, to the point some people get really offended that he walks straight past them without acknowledging them. Cadbury is only off lead when we are alone or with people we know, if I see strangers - dogs or people - then he goes on lead so he can't run up to them.

In all the years I let Kali run free on our beach - she never once ran up to a person, child or other dog off leash without their prior consent. Actually I would usually have to bring her up to people (on leash) as her personality was such that she preferred sticking to family, and really did not like having strangers pet her. When the beach was busy she was on leash or more likely at home, when we approached people or dogs - she went on leash. I never ever let her get far enough ahead that I couldn't call her back in time to leash her - not once, never happened. There were several other regular walkers and when we recognized those folk - she did not go on leash because we had already met and I knew they were okay with her off leash. We had a couple of collie buddies so beautiful and well mannered! An amazing border colie who (quite literally) had eyes for nothing but his ball - I never ever saw that dog on a leash. He was 100% focussed on his owner at all times. Watching his sheer joy at running and diving into the lake to retrieve that ball was nothing short of amazing - what an athlete! That dog never ever bothered anyone - quite the contrary he was an absolute pleasure to watch. Having him leashed would have been unnecessary and a real shame.
 
As a postscript to last week's incident with Epic, I was removing my note today as it's been up for a week and had Yogi with me on his lead. UNBELIEVABLY the same black labrador came charging up right into his face!! I had to chase it away from Yogi! If I had not been just about to collect Jessica from school I would have gone over and said something to the owner as several people have told me the dog is a menace and never under control. Apparently it is well known for running up to other dogs on or off lead and even frightning small children when it charges over. Owners like this spoil it for everyone else.

As usual it only takes one irresponsible owner to give all lab owners a bad name:no: I have known people take one look at the fact I have a lab and instantly walk away assuming that Cadbury will be out of control and I will let him be like that. Sometimes these people have got to know us and remarked how nicely behaved Cadbury is. We have even had one or two whose dogs normally hate Labradors, but who meet Cadbury and get on really well with him.

Problem is I know there is a woman around here with a chocolate lab which is dangerously aggressive and which she always allows off lead. She hasn't come across me yet, but when my dad was walking Merlin once her dog tried to have him. Now anytime people see a woman with a chocolate lab they automatically assume it is her and run a mile. You can feel hurt sometimes, you know:(

BTW, I think I will get a yellow ribbon for Merlin's next agility show
 
In all the years I let Kali run free on our beach - she never once ran up to a person, child or other dog off leash without their prior consent.
Trouble is people only remember the unruly dogs that were off lead, never the dogs that caused harm to no one. So those well-behaved dogs get penalised because of a few naughty dogs (and the naughty dogs are in the minority, though it may sometimes appear otherwise).
 
Laddie is definitely an "on leash" walker, there is no way I would trust him off the leash. I feel that even after I get him "trained" I will always use a leash, I just feel it is safer. I know a lot of folks do not use a leash, that is fine, but, I feel that a dog can get hurt easy without one, such as running away to chase something, etc. You just never know.
 
Ok, trying again to regroup and focus here....

The idea is to adopt a standard for walking dogs off leash in dog open parks.

I get that most of you guys are responsible, but we also know that they are lots out there that are not.

So if there was some kind of universal standard out there for off leash parks that signals who is fair game and who is not.....And had the municipalities upholding the rules.....

I know my Indy is not totally reliable off leash. I will let him off, but will recall him as soon as I see another dog. Leash back on....and I encourage them to sniff each other. I'll will put him in a sit and stay. But that does not work if the other dog is pushing at him and the owner not calling their dog back!

How can I teach Indy in an open park if other dog owners do not respect the fact that I've leashed my dog!

That's the fundamental issue!
 
It is indeed!

To reiterate, I am a real supporter of the YDP and think that having an instantly recognisable sign that lets other folk know your dog has issues of some kind is a great idea. Today we were at an obedience show and I took Epic out for some excersise/training as it's a great opportunity for him to experience dogs running/tugging etc in a controlled environment. Having the YDP ribbon prominently on his lead does make me feel more confident that we are not going to be approached by other dogs 'coming to say hi to the sheltie'. (A problem I frequently have is people assume Epic is OK because he is a sheltie ). In this type of situation where the dogs are trained and owned by experienced people who probably know of the meaning of the ribbon I feel reasonably secure and I'm sure this is communicated to Epic. But that does not mean I switch off and stop taking responsibility. Even with the ribbon at an event like this it is still ultimatly down to me to ensure my dog's safety. The ribbon does not and cannot act as a bubble that protects him, it just reduces the avoidance measures and explaining to people.

"So if there was some kind of universal standard out there for off leash parks that signals who is fair game and who is not.....And had the municipalities upholding the rules....."

This will never work though. If someone wants to walk a dog on lead through a (popular) off lead area like a park then it is 'fair game' irrespective of a ribbon to all the off lead dogs. A very few owners might have sufficient control and respect to call their dog away but the majority won't. Especially if the dogs are used to running over to every other dog they see which is usually the case.

"other dog owners do not respect the fact that I've leashed my dog"

The owners that do have the respect and control for others would call their dog away from one on lead anyway, but a ribbon won't make any difference to the majority.

The ribbon doesn't mean a thing to dogs - the system is reliant on the owner's awareness and level of control. On lead it has a chance, most people can read and manage to haul their dogs back - and probably will do so. In off lead situations nothing will change I'm afraid.
 
Last edited:
So, methinks its a question of getting the protocol our there into each community so that dog walkers understand what it means, yes?

If everyone was to post on their various websites and promote this, and email their city councilllours and by law officers....eventually it would take seed. etc.

And perhaps eventually we would have more rules in off leash parks and dog walking zones that protect all dogs.

I'm motivated by this because I have Indy who can be a little aggressive sometimes. I leash him when I see another dog coming, but I want him to learn to be sociable and be able to approach the other dog in a controlled manner. But if the other dog comes rushing at him, then the game is off.

It would just be nice to have a common code of conduct, don't you think?
 
So, methinks its a question of getting the protocol our there into each community so that dog walkers understand what it means, yes?

If everyone was to post on their various websites and promote this, and email their city councilllours and by law officers....eventually it would take seed. etc.

And perhaps eventually we would have more rules in off leash parks and dog walking zones that protect all dogs.

I'm motivated by this because I have Indy who can be a little aggressive sometimes. I leash him when I see another dog coming, but I want him to learn to be sociable and be able to approach the other dog in a controlled manner. But if the other dog comes rushing at him, then the game is off.

It would just be nice to have a common code of conduct, don't you think?

I was actually thinking of printing up a few dozen of the flyers that you posted and asking different pet stores to display them and maybe put some up in local parks where people take there dogs (we don't have a dog park). Then maybe enough people will see them and spread the word. :fl
 
Back
Top