This Guy Pulls At My Heart Strings...

I think if they had a phone number they would have to deal with a lot of crank calls and unwanted calls. With emails, they know if someone takes the time to actually sit down and write out an email, they are probably more interested than someone who calls.

Hope you hear today.

Yeah, I can only imagine. But the waiting is still killing me.
 
I just got a reply email saying that they've been busy. Someone is going to be phoning me tomorrow night.

She did not tell me if any other suitable families are being considered for Tobi, just that my application is being review. Fingers crossed!
 
I think if they had a phone number they would have to deal with a lot of crank calls and unwanted calls. With emails, they know if someone takes the time to actually sit down and write out an email, they are probably more interested than someone who calls.

Hope you hear today.

Most of these are staffed by volunteers who really don't have time to answer phone calls. They know when people place an application they are serious. We sent an email when we adopted Katy asking a couple of questions and asking for help with determining what direction to go with adoption considering we already had Bailey. We wanted a match that would fit well with Bailey, but didn't know if that would be male/female, etc. We got an email response that then helped us fill out the application and we then heard almost too fast about Katy who had not even been listed. We ended up getting her in a couple of days. We ended up completely rearranging Labor Day weekend. It was completely worth it, but very unexpected how fast it happened.
 
This group is also run by volunteers.

The application is pretty straight forward and I made sure to give them as much info as possible. I probably told them too much! :lol:

I mentioned that Sadie and Ginny are great with other dogs, but was also sure to mention Sadie's spinal stroke and now slight hind end paralysis. I let them know that she's nearly back to normal and sent them the link to my YouTube account showing her rehab and running around, so they could judge for themselves.

I'm trying to be patient, especially since I know that they run the rescue out of their homes and have their own lives, but I really do wish they'd hurry up with this!

I was going to try and keep it a surprise but I did tell my one friend about it. She's really excited too. :smile2:

Gee, I'd better get busy grooming Sadie and Ginny so they look presentable for the home visit, whenever that will be! :o
 
Positive Conversation with the Sheltie Rescue

I had a nice talk with the lady from the Southern Ontario sheltie rescue tonight.

We chated about shelties, their personalities, breeders and puppy mills. It was great just talking shelties and that we're on the same page.

She asked about our work schedules, our vet and my training methods.

She told me that Toby is an energetic little guy who loves to run and play. He came from a family that lived in an apartment and has an autistic child. The family turned him in because they didn't have the time to dedicate to him and he was getting crazy from lack of exercise and getting into things.

I can just imagine him bouncing off of walls. Training an energetic pup would be overwhelming in an apartment and with a special needs child to deal with. Wonderful that the people thought to turn him into a rescue and not dump him at a shelter.

She's going to email Toby's foster mom's info so that I can contact her. Then they'll do a home and vet check before we get to meet Toby. I was encouraged to bring Sadie and Ginny along with me.

They said that they have had other interest in Toby but so far haven't found the right match. Right now we're the only one's they're considering, so things are sounding VERY positive!

On a sadder note, they said they've been very busy because they're about to receive 20 shelties from a hording situation...so glad the pups are going to a rescue but wish with all my heart that these types of situations didn't happen in the first place. :no:
 
They said that they have had other interest in Toby but so far haven't found the right match. Right now we're the only one's they're considering, so things are sounding VERY positive!

On a sadder note, they said they've been very busy because they're about to receive 20 shelties from a hording situation...so glad the pups are going to a rescue but wish with all my heart that these types of situations didn't happen in the first place. :no:

I have to agree. Some of the situations rescues have to deal with are just horrible. I hate to think of any animal having to go through that. Just breaks my heart.

I hope everything goes well and you get to meet Toby soon.
 
Sounding good - hope all goes well with the home visit. You shouldn't have much problem passing as you already have two Shelties and the yard is puppy proof.

Keep us updated
 
Congrats on the contact. Before you know it, you will have a solid relationship with the rescue. Even if this pup isn't it, there will be more. And you'll get to visit right away with the home visit and vet reference done!

Duncan reminds me of Ginny, who we got as a pup. Sadie would fit nicely into just about any home but Ginny is a different matter. I shudder to think what would have happened to her if she ended up with the wrong family (not that the breeder would have let that happen). Ginny is very high strung, nervous and sensitive. Its just the way she is. She would have done horribly in a family with a lot of kids, she couldn't have tolerated that kind of chaos. Like you mentioned above, we have to watch her with the herding, she gets a bit obsessive and over excited about it.

It is fate that so many of these pups end up right where they belong. I couldn't be happier with any of my three dogs. Each is distinct, loving, and melds into the family structure beautifully.
 
Back
Top