To Debark or not?

I would like to cut myself out of this thread. It is becoming much too argumentative for my taste and I don't wish to participate in something that insults my beliefs and opinions. Again, to the OP, I hope everything works out for you and your shelties, and you do what you think is best.
 
I guess I should have fallen back to the old Wiki saying:

<citation needed>

Probably would have been less offensive. But I don't think it's an unreasonable request to require some kind of proof of an extraordinary claim.
 
I would like to cut myself out of this thread. It is becoming much too argumentative for my taste and I don't wish to participate in something that insults my beliefs and opinions.

Tabitha:

Hopefully you did not take my issue with the way that people post as either an insult to your beliefs or your opinions. I simply believe that if someone posts from passion, it should be clear that passion is the source. If the post of from fact, some nod to the source of fact should be given. In my opinion, when everyone is in total agreement, we are less likely to grow. But, that is just me. In short, it is a loss to me when people leave a conversation who have something valuable to say - and you do have something worth listening to. Just my opinion.
 
I think you need to take a step back and start to understand how to take a debate on the forum. This is the second time in a week that you have been offended by something that is not offensive. We all learn and grow from these types of discussions, and it is a shame you can't just take them with a grain of salt. Yes, many of us often disagree, but we go on and get along fine once the particular topic is finished being discussed. Just lighten up a bit. Especially now. People just wanted to see real FACT which wasn't being presented. If you don't like that, you just don't have to respond. Or, you could provide documentation and maybe the people here would learn something that they didn't know about. That's all they're asking for.
And, I do agree with Clantyre. The reason laws against pit bulls or debarking come about stem from animal rights activists who's overall goal is 'one generation and out'..... aka no pet ownership. They nibble away at rights slowly, taking away small things, and gradually broadening them to be more inclusive. One day, if things continue as they are, we are likely to no longer own pets at all.
 
I guess in my mind, if it was a final move, I could see why you would want to. However, since this isn't the "end" move for you... I would almost say wait until your neighbors complain. I currently live a townhouse where everyone is basically on top of everyone. My female sheltie is VERY reactive and barks at anything moving. That being said though, I always ask my neighbors if she bothers them.. I'm sure they're more tired of me asking them that than her actually barking (whoops!) But, if they were to tell me they had issues, I'd try to fix it first, if debarking was the only thing left I would do it. (However, if it came to debarking or relocating her, she'd move back in with my parents where she lived before I moved to NC and brought her with me) The only neighbor that told me he can hear her is the one to my left, but she only barks then because of him slamming his front door and he completely understands that because she thinks he's coming into our apartment and not his. So IMO i would wait and see how everything goes before debarking, but debarking isn't a bad thing, just a last resort for me.
 
I think you need to take a step back and start to understand how to take a debate on the forum. This is the second time in a week that you have been offended by something that is not offensive. We all learn and grow from these types of discussions, and it is a shame you can't just take them with a grain of salt. Yes, many of us often disagree, but we go on and get along fine once the particular topic is finished being discussed. Just lighten up a bit. Especially now. People just wanted to see real FACT which wasn't being presented. If you don't like that, you just don't have to respond. Or, you could provide documentation and maybe the people here would learn something that they didn't know about. That's all they're asking for.
And, I do agree with Clantyre. The reason laws against pit bulls or debarking come about stem from animal rights activists who's overall goal is 'one generation and out'..... aka no pet ownership. They nibble away at rights slowly, taking away small things, and gradually broadening them to be more inclusive. One day, if things continue as they are, we are likely to no longer own pets at all.

Agreed :wink2:
 
I almost debarked Brodie. I was in an apartment and received a warning that there had been a complaint and if it continued, they would have the humane society confiscate my dog. I called numerous vets, and could not find one to do the procedure. I was in tears. My next door neighbor saw me and asked what was wrong. I told her. She lit up!! The complaint had come from a downstairs neighbor who called about the lab puppy which lived above him. She knocked, he called to straighten it out. The mgmt. wouldn't back down because "noise travels strange and it probably is your dog disturbing him." The neighbors went at them. I told an office staff that as soon as I could find someone to cut the vocal chords I would. The office broke down and said no. The neighbors also made sure the office was told that my dog barked at 4:30 when I was due home, but other than that, he never did and if he did, it meant something bad was happening. I did buy the bark collar. He did not always wear it. In fact, he learned very quickly to not bark while I was gone and after a week, he never wore it again. I hated the thing and still do. But I would have done anything to keep that dog with me. We are now in a house, more dogs, much louder dogs. But good neighbors who also have shelties. I don't think I would debark in a "just in case", but I would cozy up to the neighbors as much as possible. And leave it as the ultimate last step.
 
I have Molly who has been done for about 6 years now...yes she grew scar tissue back and barks just about as loud as before...maybe a few octaves lower...at 9 she is what she is but she does not have any issues with eating or drinking and has no problem turning and taking out an annoying male:lol:
I am in the next month or so having a few more problem barkers done. It beats screaming at them all day to shut up, or having a complaint from the neighbors.
 
Back
Top