Training techniques: Caesar vs. the rest???

I wish in hindsight that I never put CM's name in the title to this thread.

I wanted to avoid CM bashing and focus on any and all positive dog training techniques, regardless of the trainer.

CM has always been a hot topic on this forum. So putting his name in the title of the thread, means that he is the topic of the discussion. I would expect nothing less than a heated discussion of his training techniques.

If you want a thread that doesn't discuss CM, I suggest starting a new one, especially if your point is to focus on positive dog training.

CM is the complete opposite of positive and most of the people that would give you concrete, positive training tips probably are not even reading this thread because of the title you chose to use.
 
CM has always been a hot topic on this forum. So putting his name in the title of the thread, means that he is the topic of the discussion. I would expect nothing less than a heated discussion of his training techniques.

If you want a thread that doesn't discuss CM, I suggest starting a new one, especially if your point is to focus on positive dog training.

CM is the complete opposite of positive and most of the people that would give you concrete, positive training tips probably are not even reading this thread because of the title you chose to use.

I wanted a thread that was open to ALL methods of training and weighed the pros and cons of various techniques. I know I said the word "positive" which for many is the antithesis of CM. But in reality, my dogs and I have personally benefitted from "modified Caesar" techniques. So I didn't want those excluded entirely.

Perhaps my original topic was too broad. I tried to narrow it down a little in my last post, but perhaps you are right....better to start a new thread.

I don't think it's necessary to close it down though, as there is no nastiness going on. I'm still interested in what people have to say.
 
Personally, I've never watched his show, and have heard a lot of criticism of his techniques. The one time I did watch a 30 second clip of his show, I was horrified. Intimidation has no place in basic dog training! I am more of a Victoria Stillwell person, myself - she teaches not only the dogs but the owners as well.

I've seen a lot of new dog owners in the classes I've taught. What seems to be the key is teaching the owners how to read basic canine body language. Back when I taught puppy classes, the first couple of nights were spent observing and learning to interpret the messages given out in puppy body language. "Reading" your dog on even a very elemental level helps immensely in knowing whether or not your dog is actually "getting it". This works for both young dogs and old dogs.

Without this basic building block, which takes time, you really can't bond and communicate with your dog enough to make you a team together.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth. Feel free to tear it apart!
 
Personally, I've never watched his show, and have heard a lot of criticism of his techniques. The one time I did watch a 30 second clip of his show, I was horrified. Intimidation has no place in basic dog training! I am more of a Victoria Stillwell person, myself - she teaches not only the dogs but the owners as well.

I've seen a lot of new dog owners in the classes I've taught. What seems to be the key is teaching the owners how to read basic canine body language. Back when I taught puppy classes, the first couple of nights were spent observing and learning to interpret the messages given out in puppy body language. "Reading" your dog on even a very elemental level helps immensely in knowing whether or not your dog is actually "getting it". This works for both young dogs and old dogs.

Without this basic building block, which takes time, you really can't bond and communicate with your dog enough to make you a team together.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth. Feel free to tear it apart!

I also love Victoria Stillwell:yes:
I think the idea that first classes are for learning body language is great- kinda wish we'd had that. Cran is pretty expressive so we did all right anyway:wink2:
I will admit that I did not read this thread until it was the only new one that I had not clicked on- now it's clicked:winkgrin:
 
Other than CM there's also Brad Pattison and today, I hear of yet another trainer with an accent and a TV show, Vladae, the "Russian Dog Wizard".

Has anyone heard of him before? I found his website .
 
Other than CM there's also Brad Pattison and today, I hear of yet another trainer with an accent and a TV show, Vladae, the "Russian Dog Wizard".

Has anyone heard of him before? I found his website .

Brad Pattison is TERRIBLE. He's abusive to people as well as dogs. I'm deeply sorry that he's Canadian.

Not sure if I've heard of this other trainer. Doesn't sound as though he's very good too.
 
Other than CM there's also Brad Pattison and today, I hear of yet another trainer with an accent and a TV show, Vladae, the "Russian Dog Wizard".

Has anyone heard of him before? I found his website .

oh brother, you see whats happening, they are multiplying like mushrooms after rain... I did not have to spend more than couple minutes reading Dog wizard to know he is bad news as well.... same mentality, be an alpha, don't let your dog walk in front of you:uhoh:
 
oh brother, you see whats happening, they are multiplying like mushrooms after rain... I did not have to spend more than couple minutes reading Dog wizard to know he is bad news as well.... same mentality, be an alpha, don't let your dog walk in front of you:uhoh:

I thought exactly the same thing!! yaaaawwwn.... why are all these guys getting tv shows? Does positive dog training not make good tv?
 
I thought exactly the same thing!! yaaaawwwn.... why are all these guys getting tv shows? Does positive dog training not make good tv?

It is all about immediate results. Positive training takes consistency and time. People are just not wired that way anymore to the detriment of our pets.
 
Back
Top