Vegas comes home

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a riot Janet !!

Thanks...now we are negotiations for his call name. We thought we'd just leave it as Vegas, but its too close to Angus and its confusing Angus. So now in keeping with a Vegas theme we are considering Newton, "Newt" for short. I'm not a Wayne Newton fan but Alan played in a band on the "small stage" across the casino from Wayne Newton on the big stage.

Plus, I am getting a little giggle out of the idea of sticking my head out the door and calling "Sasha, Indy, Emma, Angus, Figgy...NEWTON"

Newton it is !! You and Alan have such great loving hearts ! Thank you both from the bottom of my heart for opening your home to this neglected fellow. You will be rewarded greatly for your kindness and generosity! God Bless and Protect you and you family always!:wink2:
 
I'm still trying to wrap my head around an 8 lb sheltie! I thought Clancy was small at 22 lbs. Poor wee thing. I think he can celebrate his true birthday as the day we came to live with you. I suspect a whole new world will open up to him now :yes:
 
Plus, I am getting a little giggle out of the idea of sticking my head out the door and calling "Sasha, Indy, Emma, Angus, Figgy...NEWTON"

Too funny!

You have a heart of gold, that's for sure. I do hope that man doesn't take his ransom money and buy another dog, or animal of ANY kind. He isn't fit.

Newton is adorable!
 
He has potential.....
Really he's done surprisingly well so far. Two pee accidents inside but with the puppies peeing in their pen I'm sure its confusing. He's done all his poops outside in the poop yard.

Newt has only done some brief quivering when startled; otherwise he's calm and alert and just watching EVERYTHING. He likes to sit on the loveseat or couch, and particularly likes to tuck in behind our knees. He has a passion for Emma but she doesn't return this sentiment so we're limiting their interactions at this time. He's getting along fine with all of the others. Emma has her snarl reactions to the other dogs here too; so I'm not taking it too seriously. She has appointed her self Second-in-charge behind the humans and wants to keep her clan in line.

The toughest and most heartbreaking: he really doesn't eat. Doesn't even sniff at food. So any suggestions for enticing foods to try, let me know. He does like cheese; but everything else has been ignored. Last night he ate a mix of his moist-n-meaty (ugh, but that is what they were feeding him along with Spam and who knows what else, no kibble) and Ultra max puppy kibble while in his crate. Alan tried crating him to feed him a lunch, but he barked to come out and would not stay in to eat. Last night he stayed in the crate all night with his food bowl with no fuss and no mess and ate 2/3rds of the food in the bowl. So we'll feed him in the crate again tonight but I WANT to treat him and FEED him, he's so boney.

Also, his fur looks burned. The previous owner's wife went on and on about how good he was during the bath and "doesn't mind the hair dryer either." I don't know if she burned his hair with the hairdryer or the damage is just from malnutrition.

We couldn't get him in to see our vet today, but he goes tomorrow. Wish Newton the best; he was seen by the previous owner's vet 7/28/09 for shots BUT HAS NEVER been on heartworm preventatives!!!
 
OH Janet, you are doing such a good thing for him. I too agree about calling the local sheltiers to make sure he does not go and buy another one.
I am glad to hear that he is settling in. I am sure the eating will come, he is probably still in a bit of confusion as to what is going on.
 
Maybe try wetting his food a little? Mixing a little gravy or wet food could also be quite enticing. If I make mine with warm liquid, my pups gobble it up in seconds! Also, though it will be harder on you, a little tough love with the food. Down 15 minutes then up. He might not eat for a day, but once he gets the routine, he'll know to chow. Even though he is frail, he will learn. Mine love the pumpkin I put in...

Glad to know he is in a loving home and seems to be adjusting. I bet he'll be one of the gang in no time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top