Westminster Kennel Club

thanks Ann...I dont know is the bus or train easier? Im coming from RI so I can pick up either one im sure in CT. Im trying to work out the details..Its something my mom and I have always said we want to do (although she said she wants one of ours to show there before she dies I told her she better plan on living till 200:lol:) so I figured why not this year? I think it is better to go then show anyways...its alot of work ive heard and exhausting!:sleepy:

You might check bus schedules, but I imagine it's a much longer trip by bus than by train. And I'd think the train might be more direct for you, but I don't know.

You are right about showing at Westminster. First of all, it's very difficult to get a dog in...you must either be invited or qualify and be chosen from the lottery of entries. On the day you show, your dog/handler/owner must be in the building from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. no matter what time you show, because when you're not in the ring you must display your dog on the benches which are open to the public. It is quite the most amazing show I've ever been to, and every dog lover who can should go at least once. You can touch every dog shown when you're there and talk to their breeder or handler. The vendors are to die for. But be prepared for CROWDS. It's worth it though! :yes:

Last year I was right at ringside when the Shelties were shown. My breeder was showing Barkley's aunt Annie, who won BOS. It was so cool. I'm not sure I'll get there this year because I may have a conflicting assignment, but do go if you can.
 
glad to hear connie and karen are attending...I also know of 1 maybe 2 other sheltie breeders attending but its not in stone yet as one is from california, so its up in the air depending on the weather and other things...
 
I have press credentials for Westminster and may be there on Monday. My breeder, Connie Nelson, will be there with Karen Henley, her partner from Shelhaven in Canada. The Shelties are on Monday this year too.

Is Alex coming? (Alex is Bacca's daddy from Shelhaven!)

I work during the week but maybe I can book the afternoon off to see the Shelties! :smile2:
 
shelties are showing at 1:30 I think...Its the afternoon I just dont remember the exact time...its on the website under judging schedule.
 
Is Alex coming? (Alex is Bacca's daddy from Shelhaven!)

I work during the week but maybe I can book the afternoon off to see the Shelties! :smile2:

No, Alex isn't showing, Barb. I actually don't know who is showing yet. They don't release any list even to the press unless the breeders give their permission and we specifically ask for it. It's pretty much top secret until the program comes out. But it would be worth the trip for you to come down and see the Shelties, you'd love it! Just the Westminster experience is beyond any other dog show.
 
I checked into the details tonight...it looks like I will be catching the train from New Haven into NY Central Station, then a cab to the garden...it will be a LONNNNGGG day for me (I will have to leave here by 5:30am) and wont be home till after 3am tuesday...I'll be :sleepy::dead:but it will be worth it...one more question do they allow you to take pictures inside? I would love to bring my camera
 
Good for you! You will so enjoy it that the trip will be worth it and you can always sleep on the train.:sleepy: I'm not sure about the photos...I was ringside with my camera last year but that's because I was press. It should say something on the website if you are not allowed to photograph, so if it doesn't, I'd guess you can snap away.

Have you ordered tickets? If not, be sure to do so in advance. Westminster frequently sells out. The nice thing though is that they only enforce the ticket seating assignments for the evening events. During the day, you can grab an empty seat near whichever ring you want to watch. :wink2:
 
No, Alex isn't showing, Barb. I actually don't know who is showing yet. They don't release any list even to the press unless the breeders give their permission and we specifically ask for it. It's pretty much top secret until the program comes out. But it would be worth the trip for you to come down and see the Shelties, you'd love it! Just the Westminster experience is beyond any other dog show.

Maybe next year! I just spent the last hour looking at the videos from 2008 on the Westminster website! What a treat! Too bad the Sheltie didn't make it in Best of Group!

btw - Why do the handlers have to dress so dowdy!? I think dog shows could use a What Not to Wear makeover! :biggrin2::eek2: Ok - I bad! :sadsmile:
 
Maybe next year! I just spent the last hour looking at the videos from 2008 on the Westminster website! What a treat! Too bad the Sheltie didn't make it in Best of Group!

btw - Why do the handlers have to dress so dowdy!? I think dog shows could use a What Not to Wear makeover! Ok - I bad! :sadsmile:

I'd like to think I dont dress that bad....but its hard sometimes you dont want to spend a fortune on something because lets face it your using it to groom a dog, kneel on the floor, and pick up poo...and make them look wonderful sometimes you take the hit :smile2:and it has to be functional too..you dont want to be worring as your going around the ring...ohhh crap im loosing my skirt lol!:lol: and it must have pockets...pockets are a must for any dog show outfit to pass the critque :) so with those constrants Id like to think we do pretty well...although I have to admit sometimes I look at people in other breeds and giggle a bit too :)
 
I didn't mean to be derogatory....but why do women handler's seem to have to wear these old-fashioned longer-skirt suits with low healed shoes! Totally impractical! And not the best look! Why not a decent pant-suit? Men wear pant suits. Why not the women?
 
Back
Top