Diarrhea: Go to vet or wait it out?

I'm with you Ashley. For a healthy adult dog, it's not as much as a concern, but a 15 year old with failing kidneys and other health issue, I would call my vet that day.

I'd actually probably take my young normally healthy dog in as well. If my dog refuses food and is lethargic, something is seriously wrong and unlike a person, she can't tell me what's bothering her. I'd feel more comfortable spending $100 for peace of mind. I'd have a lot a trouble knowing my dog was in pain or had a serious condition and I decided to wait it out.

agree! Just did the same thing with Six, the emergency vet looked at me odd but its Six, if he pukes or doesnt want to eat and is lethargic the dog has something seriously wrong..turns out he was just constipated but better to find out than wait for my piece of mind.
anyway back on topic some may look like your crazy rushing in but we each know our dogs (or atleast I hope so) and know when they are off. Hope Miko gets some meds and fluids and is on the mend. Let us know how he is...
 
First, a big thanks to everyone for the support and keeping me as sane as possible. I took Miko in, gawd I felt so bad. I could already tell that his body was weak from standing to much, then to be in the crate, poor guy.

THEN, double poor Miko, first a thermometer up the bum, then the vet decided to do a rectal exam. I dunno about you, but if I had diarrhea all night, I wouldn't want anything near my bum. Poor guy. He was a trooper.

I have to admit, I was pretty amazed, they did a really thorough exam. I mean, he examined his eyes, ears, teeth, hips, under belly (organs), everything. I don't think his eyes, ears, and hips really needed examining, but okay. Got my money's worth, that's for sure.

They still weren't concerned about the blood. Said that with that much diarrhea, the linings could be...whatever you want to call it....unhappy. LOL. Sorry, can't think of the word. They didn't feel he was dehydrated, but he had lost 1/2 a pound since I brought him in a week ago. I would assume that is lack of breakfast and water loss.

In the end, they suggested sub-q fluids, but I passed. I knew if he ate, he'd get water in his system. And I could give him some via syringe. He said Miko needs 500ml of water a day. Sorry, but I doubt he gets that much and it's all in his food anyways. He ate half his food, then laid down and went to sleep. I'll give him some water when he gets up. Here's a photo of him after he ate dinner.

He got an anti-nausea injection, just to make sure he keeps the food down. They also said it has a little pain killer in it, so if his tummy is sore from cramping or all that, that will help. I also figured maybe it'll help him sleep better if his body overall is in less pain.

Lastly, they gave him metronidazole. I guess it's an antibiotic of sorts, but will help with his diarrhea (to firm it up) and get things working again. Thankfully, I shoved it in a Pill Pocket and he ate it right up. So yay on that.

Hopefully the both of us will get some sleep at some point. Poor old man is exhausted. The entire time at the vet, I was just holding him and he was falling asleep. You could tell that he really needs to sleep.

Since Miko has never had bloody diarrhea, that is still my biggest concern, but I'm going with the "it's okay" from the vet. Hopefully his poop will firm up so both of us can sleep soundly and I don't have to confine him to the bathroom or kitchen (where he's uncomfy). At least in the kitchen, I have those mats so it's softer. I just need to put down more potty pads. I wish I knew what upset his tummy, it just seems so random. That's the worst part.

Again, thanks everyone. I'm still having a really rough time (personally) and this just aggravates things. Having such a caring community helps me at times to vent and to find hope.
 
Metronidazole will certainly clear up diarrhea. It worked like magic on my dog. Sometimes it does constipated them for a day or two.

My vet wasn't that concerned when my dog had bloody diarrhea either. Apparently they can get bloody diarrhea when their stomachs are irritated. But it's so scary!

I'm glad you brought him in and got treatment. Hope he is feeling better soon ,
 
That is great news...I'll bet Miko had a restful night. Metronidazole is the go-to med for diarrhea...I've used it often for my dogs and it does work quickly. Give it as long as they told you to though, it does have antibiotic properties. I'd give some milk thistle while he's on it just to protect his system. It's quite a strong drug.

I'd also consider feeding him a light diet for a day or two...some chicken and rice if he can eat that with lots of water, just to let his system rest. Hope things are better this morning and you both got some sleep!
 
I'm late in responding to this thread...

Going back to the beginning, I would definitely have given it 12-24 hours before I made a rush visit to the vet. Most times, they got into garbage or something that upset their tummy, and just like humans they are fine hours later.

I would though have made sure that dog was taking in liquids while this was going on.

Barb, with a younger, healthy dog I would agree with you 100%. With an elderly dog, especially one with major health issues, I'd be less likely to wait. At the very least I'd call them for advice on what to do.

Yay. Miko is drinking a lot of water. Mostly because stupid me keeps forgetting to put a bowl in with him :rolleyes2:

Yeah! I'm glad he's starting to feel better and is resting. Metronidazole is a miracle pill for diarrhea.
 
Glad to hear he is doing better. Lexi is just coming off some bacterial issues that made her sick. She got the same injection as well as the metro. She was better almost immediately. Good stuff!
 
Glad to hear he's doing better!

When Honey was vomiting blood everywhere (which we did take her to e-vet) they weren't too concerned. I was freaking. Turned out she was extremely dehydrated (she didn't eat or drink anything for over 12 hrs before I took her) but they couldn't find anything else wrong. Poop and pee both regular. When we took her home, she pooped an orange color and kind of slimy... :confused2: Must of gotten into something...

It's funny how we react different than vets.. but at least they're there to calm us down a bit :smile2:
 
Back
Top