Diarrhea: Go to vet or wait it out?

Yay. We have poop. It's not solid by any means and it was dark brown (his is always light brown to yellow - color of potatoes). But it was formed and it wasn't watery. Progress.
 
I'm late in responding to this thread...

Going back to the beginning, I would definitely have given it 12-24 hours before I made a rush visit to the vet. Most times, they got into garbage or something that upset their tummy, and just like humans they are fine hours later.

I would though have made sure that dog was taking in liquids while this was going on.

Sometimes adding a little of low sodium meat broth to the water will encourage them to drink.

Think of it this way....if you had diarrhea once or twice or threw up a couple of times, would you rush YOURSELF to the doctor? Probably not. But if went on for a couple of days, then yes, maybe....but not before your tried to figure out what might have triggered it. Something you ate, basic flu?

While I concede that our dogs can't tell us how they feel, you have to make allowance for sometimes they just aren't themselves. Just like people. We have our up and down days. If it goes on beyond 24-48 hours....then yes, definitely.

:hide ducking again! Based on previous posts, they were recommending instant vet attention. My opionion probably goes against most.
 
Thanks Barb - I tend to err on the side of overcautious. When I lost my Dawson in July I really was angry at myself for not taking him to the vet as soon as he wasn't acting like his usual self ( lethargic, no appetite) - I made the decision to wait and see and by the time he started to seize, an hour later - it was already too late. As it turns out there was nothing the vet could have done to save him even if I had been there sooner - but I didn't know that at the time.
 
Think of it this way....if you had diarrhea once or twice or threw up a couple of times, would you rush YOURSELF to the doctor? Probably not. But if went on for a couple of days, then yes, maybe....but not before your tried to figure out what might have triggered it. Something you ate, basic flu?

Typically I agree--I wait. But Miko is older and has several health problems. So if my 90 year old grandmother was sick with diarrhea and vomiting, then yes, I would take her to the doctor or even the emergency room. Their bodies can't regulate and combat bacteria and infection the way a young healthy person's (or dog's) can. Simple dehydration can have dire circumstances.
 
Thanks Barb. And honestly, if it was my 6 yo Koji, I wouldn't be rushing him to the vet. But since it's my 15 yo Miko with kidney failure, I'm a bit more concerned. Especially since he doesn't get into things and eats the same stuff pretty much everyday. Combine that with bloody diarrhea, that's been going on for almost 12 hours, that concerns me.

Trust me, I have waited Koji out for 3 days before. Because he does get into things and has tummy issues at times. But Miko, rarely.
 
Ugh. He basically just pooped liquid blood. I have an appt at 5pm, with traffic, I'll have to leave soon anyways. I'm concerned again. Hopefully they can give him something to help ease the diarrhea, which hopefully can help ease the blood. I'll keep you posted

My poor baby.
 
Typically I agree--I wait. But Miko is older and has several health problems. So if my 90 year old grandmother was sick with diarrhea and vomiting, then yes, I would take her to the doctor or even the emergency room. Their bodies can't regulate and combat bacteria and infection the way a young healthy person's (or dog's) can. Simple dehydration can have dire circumstances.

I'm with you Ashley. For a healthy adult dog, it's not as much as a concern, but a 15 year old with failing kidneys and other health issue, I would call my vet that day.

I'd actually probably take my young normally healthy dog in as well. If my dog refuses food and is lethargic, something is seriously wrong and unlike a person, she can't tell me what's bothering her. I'd feel more comfortable spending $100 for peace of mind. I'd have a lot a trouble knowing my dog was in pain or had a serious condition and I decided to wait it out.
 
Ugh. He basically just pooped liquid blood. I have an appt at 5pm, with traffic, I'll have to leave soon anyways. I'm concerned again. Hopefully they can give him something to help ease the diarrhea, which hopefully can help ease the blood. I'll keep you posted

My poor baby.

Poor Miko! More prayers and healing thoughts sent out to you.:hugs
 
Back
Top