Diarrhea: Go to vet or wait it out?

Let us know what the vet says.

Sub Q fluids cannot hurt, but they can help tremendously. I would bring him in for some. You will be amazed at how much better he will feel. That is not something I would put off.
 
The vet finally called me back around 8pm. I'm going in tomorrow at Noon, so we'll see what he can do. I'm seriously sleep deprived. I sleep when he does and he's letting me sleep in 45 minute increments. I finally hit REM and he wakes me up. It may sound cruel, but I may need to ask for sleeping pills for Miko. I'm not going to last much monger like this. I'll keep you posted.

Oh yeah, the vet said he may give me high fiber food and sub-q fluids for Miko. I stopped the meds to see if that was causing him to be more off balance. So far, all I've noticed is that he's sleeping even less than before and paces more.
 
Help! I'm losing my mind. Miko refuses to sleep, can't get comfy, can't get up from lying on his side. I have to get up and help him stand up because he starts to freak out. Then he circles like a mad dog, then falls over. The cycle continues 5 mins later. I am ready to kill him or myself. He is driving me insane. I wish he would tell me what the heck he wants. Why isn't he sleeping? Why can't he stay lying down? Why? Why? Why?

He can't stand up, because his hind legs are too weak. He just fell over....and now he can't get up. And now he's freaking out. Augh. Someone just put me down. Sadly, it was so much nicer when he was out cold for 4+ hours. Is that mean of me? And I can't leave the house because he hurts himself when he wakes up and can't get up or becomes majorly stressed out. Seriously, I'm at my wit's end. Lack of sleep is not helping. I am starting to seriously contemplate putting him down so *I* can have a quality life. Now that seems cruel.

Great he tripped again and is kying down. I'll have to go help him up in a few mins. I am so tired and frustrated. Needless to say I am not coping at all after 6 days and sleeping in one hour increments, if that. Yup. He's freaking out already. :gaah

I don't really need help, just needed to vent.

Below is his latest 2 minute position. :rolleyes2:
 

Attachments

  • 20131023_051915.jpg
    20131023_051915.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Cheryl, I'm so sorry you and Miko are going through this. Poor fella. How do you think Miko's quality of life is right now? Will he improve?
 
How do you think Miko's quality of life is right now? Will he improve?

This is what thought came to my mind as well. The pacing, the balance issues, it just doesn't sound like Miko has a good quality of life right now. And your miserable as well. I'm sending my good thoughts your way..
 
I agree with Randi, I havent wanted to say anything as I know its a hard topic..but talk with the vet, will his quality of life improve or is it just getting to a status quo? Its often very hard for elderly dogs with compromised systems to overcome common issues. Or it may even be something else with him just breaking down inside....
I think you have done everything in your power to help him. If you can put him somewhere soft where he wont hurt himself and go out for a walk or to the store or somewhere for a bit. Try to clear your mind? It happens alot in humans where you just get overwhelmed constantly caring for someone 24/7. It takes it toll mentally and physically.
Talk to you vet see what he thinks as far as recovery etc. My thoughts are with you:hugs
 
I am thinking of you. The comment about being a caregiver 24/7 was spot on. I was there last year. It wears you out in every way imaginable, sometimes to the point your thinking is far from clear. Talk with your vet. Take some time to get out by yourself, even if just for a few minutes. Being sleep deprived is also stressing you out. Hugs.:hugs
 
It seems as though he is getting back to normal. The pacing and circling is normal, but he is falling over more. The problem is that he can't get up, so he starts to stress out, then he actually whines. He only makes noises when he's distressed. Which means I can't sleep. Unfortunately, if I leave him alone, and he wakes up, he can't get up. Which means no matter what, I come back to a stressed out dog. Sigh. He just pooped everywhere, bit me when I was trying to stand him up, got washed, and will probably sleep now. :gaah

I am leaving for the vet in about 30 mins. Hope they don't mind that I haven't showered and honestly, I'm not changing either, haha.
 
It seems as though he is getting back to normal. The pacing and circling is normal, but he is falling over more. The problem is that he can't get up, so he starts to stress out, then he actually whines. He only makes noises when he's distressed. Which means I can't sleep. Unfortunately, if I leave him alone, and he wakes up, he can't get up. Which means no matter what, I come back to a stressed out dog. Sigh. He just pooped everywhere, bit me when I was trying to stand him up, got washed, and will probably sleep now. :gaah

I am leaving for the vet in about 30 mins. Hope they don't mind that I haven't showered and honestly, I'm not changing either, haha.

They might offer you a complimentary grooming :wink2:
 
Back
Top