Greyson is in the hospital

Can you try to give him the meds in a teeny bit of his wet food? Riley is not the best with pills, so when he had Lymes we used to hide them in little rolled balls of wet food (ew! I agree, but it worked!).
 
Can you try to give him the meds in a teeny bit of his wet food? Riley is not the best with pills, so when he had Lymes we used to hide them in little rolled balls of wet food (ew! I agree, but it worked!).

We first tried putting them in his food, then we tried the meatball trick. He figured both out and is now refusing to eat the food except for a few bites. I'm not sure what to do now, he needs to eat! I'm pretty sure he won't eat the food because he thinks there are pills in it.

Last night he swallowed the pills we put down his throat, and spit them up a minute later! The little bugger!!
 
I hope Greyson pulls through!

as far as the $$$, CareCredit is for people and animal health bills.
I think you get a year to pay? anyway, ask your vet.

fingers and paws crossed!

Best of luck to your baby Greyson. It breaks our heart to see them ill doesn't it? Very important is to have a good reliable vet. doctor.
 
My pill trick is to put the pill in his mouth with a tiny treat or kibble.
I hold the mouth closed and massage the throat.
Once Gavin realizes there is food in his mouth, he chomps it down.
the pill goes down with the real food.

So you just need to find a food or treat he will eat :eek2:
 
I'm so glad that Greyson is home with you - I bet he's glad, too!

We first tried putting them in his food, then we tried the meatball trick. He figured both out and is now refusing to eat the food except for a few bites. I'm not sure what to do now, he needs to eat! I'm pretty sure he won't eat the food because he thinks there are pills in it.

Last night he swallowed the pills we put down his throat, and spit them up a minute later! The little bugger!!

You're quite right that he needs to keep up with his food - don't mess around with trying to "hide" it in treats or food, or else he'll start thinking you're trying to poison him. :wink2:

Here's how I pill dogs: have the dog sit, and have the pill ready in your right hand. Get his mouth open with your left hand and right forefinger, and tip his head back. Then place the pill back as far as it will go - and slide it backwards down his throat with your thumb. You should be able to feel where the rough texture of his tongue changes to the smooth texture of his pharynx - slide the pill back until you hit the smooth part. (You have to get past the point of his gag reflex, or else he'll just bring it up and spit it out.) Then hold his mouth closed until you see him stick out his tongue (which means he's swallowed.) All of this is done very quickly - you'll get the hang of it!

Be tough. He needs those pills.
 
Pills for Greyson

After a while, our Seamus ate his pills like a champ. He was on flavored amoxicillin that I broke up in his meal. Just be careful that it is not flavored with xyitol which is poison to a dog. I emailed the Teva company and they told me that there was no xyitol in their amoxi.

S-Adenosyl prescribed by a vet is the best. Seamus was on Denamarin (same thing) Never ever, try to get any other.

Also the Dodds liver cleanse diet is tried and true. You can supplement with a probiotic, we used Well Blend suggested by Dodds.

Have you asked about his gall bladder? Sometimes a compromised gall bladder can be the culprit.

I am not a doctor Insideout. These are just the things that I learned with our dog. It was a learning process for us. We took our lead from Dr. Dodds. She knows her stuff. The diet she has for liver issues is potatos and vegetables and small amounts of meat (chicken, pork, cod or white fish). Science Diet is okay but it still has garbage in it that thankfully I was able to avoid with a better diet.


The best of luck to you,


Kate
 
I'm so glad that Greyson is home with you - I bet he's glad, too!



You're quite right that he needs to keep up with his food - don't mess around with trying to "hide" it in treats or food, or else he'll start thinking you're trying to poison him. :wink2:

Here's how I pill dogs: have the dog sit, and have the pill ready in your right hand. Get his mouth open with your left hand and right forefinger, and tip his head back. Then place the pill back as far as it will go - and slide it backwards down his throat with your thumb. You should be able to feel where the rough texture of his tongue changes to the smooth texture of his pharynx - slide the pill back until you hit the smooth part. (You have to get past the point of his gag reflex, or else he'll just bring it up and spit it out.) Then hold his mouth closed until you see him stick out his tongue (which means he's swallowed.) All of this is done very quickly - you'll get the hang of it!

Be tough. He needs those pills.

I followed your advice and the pills are now going down without issue, thank you! I definitely wasn't pushing them back far enough in his throat.

Unfortunately I think Greyson associates the prescription canned food with medicine, as he refuses to eat it despite being starving. He loved the food while he was in the hospital, but as soon as we got home he refused to eat it! I cooked up some chicken and rice for him last night and he has been inhaling it for the last 2 meals. The vet said it was okay to feed that instead of the prescription food since he has to eat. Now what am I going to do with this whole case of prescription food I bought? :rolleyes2:
 
After a while, our Seamus ate his pills like a champ. He was on flavored amoxicillin that I broke up in his meal. Just be careful that it is not flavored with xyitol which is poison to a dog. I emailed the Teva company and they told me that there was no xyitol in their amoxi.

S-Adenosyl prescribed by a vet is the best. Seamus was on Denamarin (same thing) Never ever, try to get any other.

Also the Dodds liver cleanse diet is tried and true. You can supplement with a probiotic, we used Well Blend suggested by Dodds.

Have you asked about his gall bladder? Sometimes a compromised gall bladder can be the culprit.

I am not a doctor Insideout. These are just the things that I learned with our dog. It was a learning process for us. We took our lead from Dr. Dodds. She knows her stuff. The diet she has for liver issues is potatos and vegetables and small amounts of meat (chicken, pork, cod or white fish). Science Diet is okay but it still has garbage in it that thankfully I was able to avoid with a better diet.


The best of luck to you,


Kate

I have done some research on Dr. Dodd's diet, I will definitely bring it up with the vet when we go back for more bloodwork on the 25th. I was hoping to find a good kibble for him though, since we travel fairly frequently and it is harder to bring food that has to be refrigerated. That being said, I also don't really want to feed him the Hill's Liver Diet kibble that they are suggesting...
 
I followed your advice and the pills are now going down without issue, thank you! I definitely wasn't pushing them back far enough in his throat.

*applause!* I'm so glad it's working for you. Pretty soon you'll get so quick at it that he won't mind.

Unfortunately I think Greyson associates the prescription canned food with medicine, as he refuses to eat it despite being starving. He loved the food while he was in the hospital, but as soon as we got home he refused to eat it! I cooked up some chicken and rice for him last night and he has been inhaling it for the last 2 meals. The vet said it was okay to feed that instead of the prescription food since he has to eat. Now what am I going to do with this whole case of prescription food I bought? :rolleyes2:

Maybe try putting it on Craigslist, under the pet section? You never know, there might be someone out there looking for a deal on prescription food.
 
food for thought

I buy potatos on sale, chicken etc. on sale. I find the frozen vegetables on sale.

I mix up a whole batch, then freeze it in portions. I freeze the potatos and vegetables separately from the meat.

I find that it is a better way to go AND in the long run you will save on vet bills.

Give Greyson a hug and kiss from Harper Lee and me.

Best,
Kate Oh and the food surplus that you have, you might want to return it for a refund. They took mine back.
 
Back
Top