Subcutaneous Mast Cell Tumour

Back from the vets and she does have an infection as temp is 39.7c. She is probably in pain too. Had antibiotics by injection, paracetamol by IV and we have new meds to administer at home from this evening. Poor Grace, but she's such a trooper. Her tail wagged so hard when she came out again. She was probably so relieved they didn't chop a bit more off. Lots of hugs and pets for her today. :)
 
Back from the vets and she does have an infection as temp is 39.7c. She is probably in pain too. Had antibiotics by injection, paracetamol by IV and we have new meds to administer at home from this evening. Poor Grace, but she's such a trooper. Her tail wagged so hard when she came out again. She was probably so relieved they didn't chop a bit more off. Lots of hugs and pets for her today. :)
So good that you caught the infection immediately and she is on antibiotics now. And how wonderful to see that tail wag!!! Grace definitely is a trooper!
Trini
 
Wow, that had to be concerning for sure! Glad the pain killers resolved her discomfort! Poor little lass.
Have you considered getting a thermometer so you can track if she gets a fever? Might help at times like this. Also, not needing to stress her out with more vet visits for something you can diagnose at home might be helpful to ease your mind and rule out one thing!
Anyway I am glad she is getting checked out!
 
So good that you caught the infection immediately and she is on antibiotics now. And how wonderful to see that tail wag!!! Grace definitely is a trooper!
Trini
No kidding! These little ones sure can cause us grey hair!
As my vet once said to me... he both loves and hates Sheltie’s as the are so sweet but can masked pain so that many owners don’t get them in quickly enough!
You are super sensitive to any changes and can respond promptly! Grace can thank you for that! So good to hear she now has everything on board to support her healing! Virtual hugs!
 
Wow, that had to be concerning for sure! Glad the pain killers resolved her discomfort! Poor little lass.
Have you considered getting a thermometer so you can track if she gets a fever? Might help at times like this. Also, not needing to stress her out with more vet visits for something you can diagnose at home might be helpful to ease your mind and rule out one thing!
Anyway I am glad she is getting checked out!

Ooh, now that's an idea. I will look into getting a thermometer. Thank you.
 
I'm so glad you caught the infection early. Panting is almost always a sign of pain after surgery. That's how I knew when Checkers needed another pain pill until we got her regulated. I'm very glad you were able to get her to your vet and get the meds she needed. I hope you and Grace have a restul day!
 
I can imagine after that large a surgery she's definitely needing more pain meds! So good that you caught the infection early. yep, an old fashioned rectal thermometer is a great thing to have. Just put a little vaseline on the tip for comfort. It does not need to be inserted very far.
Hope she will be well on the mend now. I hope you can get some rest too.
 
Good morning, all! Well we had a stressful late afternoon and evening. Grace started panting hard at around 5pm, and her breathing was very rapid. It was rather warm so we took her outside to sit in the shade but that didn't help much. Around 6pm there was no change but we left it too late to call our vets as they had shut. We brought her evening meal forward and gave her the NSAID tablet, the Co-codamol had finished the night before. We gave her until 8pm to settle otherwise we would take her to the emergency vet at the college around 30min drive away. Dead on 8pm she settled just fine. I'm sure she was in pain and needed something to get her to the evening NSAID. This morning I rang our vet and we are going in for a check up in case she has an infection that has raised her temperature. Otherwise she agrees she needs more pain relief. Grace is looking fine this morning so fingers crossed it's just that.
❤ thinking of you both, you're such a good dog mom
 
So this morning Grace has not moved from her bed. She is just laying on her side. Hasn't come to greet me or anything. I've given her both tablets, painkiller and antibiotics in a piece of chicken as soon as I got up and she's taken both fine.

I feel worried that she's not moved at all. But am I worrying too much and have to give her time to heal? I have no idea what is normal in the recovery process. I'm thinking of giving it an hour for her meds to kick in and if no change to ring the vet. But part of me feels like a hassling neurotic dog mum who worries over the slightest thing.
 
Back
Top