Vegas comes home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newt is pretty cute- don't know how you could have done anything differently. as for the food - may take a couple of days- Callie didn't eat right away when I first got her. I think she wasn't sure about the whole situation. I'm sure that Newt will figure everything out- sure hope the vet visit goes well.
 
Thanks for everyone's concern and advice.

Newton didn't get a full vet visit today...there was some sort of misunderstanding so he didn't see the vet but the vet tech did go ahead and test him for heartworms.....with good results. So that's one worry off the plate.

As to eating, he ate his bowl of kibble with chicken and chicken broth last night in his crate. Empty bowl this morning. During the day he just can't be tempted to eat anything except for an occasional tidbit of cheese. Cheese appears to be the only food he will take as a treat.

Alan said that Newton was just fine at the vet's office...no shaking, whining, or submissive peeing.

Now for the bad news. Newt weighed 8.7 lbs when the previous owner took him to the vet for his rabies shot on 7/28/09...today he weighed 8.3 lbs.
 
Okay, I hate to admit it but about 20 years ago a very good trainer taught me to use Moist and Meaty for small treats while training. The dogs really love them, and I used them to train aggressive dogs, too. I know they are terrible as far as food value, but dogs really like it. I'm sure that's why you are having trouble changing Newton's diet--the crappy stuff tastes better.

I'm sure that once he realizes he's not going to get any more Moist & Meaty he will convert to your dog food. He is probably a little insecure now too. I'm glad he ate last night though, whatever you feed him has to be better than Moist & meaty.

Thank you for being so wonderful for Newton.
 
Actually he won't eat the Moist N Meaty either.
The previous owner had troubles with him eating and that was his most recent trial of foods.
 
I'll come clean as well. Before I found this forum I didn't know there was a difference between good and bad dog foods. I would often time feed Gizmo the Moist 'n Meaty. I think it was Moist 'n Meaty. If it wasn't that brand it was something close. It had a sheltie/collie on the front so Mom bought it. :uhoh: My mom thought it was cute because we were feeding a sheltie something with a collie/sheltie on the front package.

As for the getting him to eat I don't know what would work. Smudge will eat anything (including pieces of paper off the floor, newspaper, Kleenex, paper towels, my sister's new shoes that she just got not two weeks ago, ect.). When we first brought Gizmo home he scared me, because he would only take a bite or two the entire day for the first couple of days. He finally came around. Gizmo was a much pickier eater than Smudge.

It does make me sick that he's so small. How tall is he? Is he the right weight for his very small height? Or is he really bony and you just can't tell it because of the fur? Speaking of which, that picture of his fur made me MAD. :mad: Why would anybody do that to their dog?! Did they not see the damage it was causing? My sister had a bad problem with her hair once. I took her to see my hair guy (he's very good :smile2:) and he told her that her hair was so damaged that it would be better to just cut/really trim the damaged parts up. It took her hair a long time before she was able to stop using special shampoos and treatments for it. I hope you don't have to cut his pretty fur because somebody else couldn't use common sense.

I hope you get good news at the vet when you go back.
 
All my Shelties will do practically anything for a tiny pellet of chinchilla food. Must be the grass...:wink2:
 
Now for the bad news. Newt weighed 8.7 lbs when the previous owner took him to the vet for his rabies shot on 7/28/09...today he weighed 8.3 lbs.

Couldn't that just be a scale difference? Different brand, style, calibration?

I weight my birds at least 2x a week because it's important to monitor their weight and we've found my scale is much different than the vets, so the "difference" was not significant.
 
I agree with Ariel. When I brought Baxter in for his first vet visit here I thought he had lost 5lbs as the weight on his previous vet records was 58# and he weighed 53# on her scale. She said not necessarily because he was being weighed on a different scale. Apparently there is a difference with scales.
 
All my Shelties will do practically anything for a tiny pellet of chinchilla food. Must be the grass...:wink2:

Did you say GRASS! Must remember to keep chincilla food away from Bacca! :wink2: Oh! Wait! I guess you meant lawn grass. Not the kind my son likes! :o
 
Janet,

As others have said, it could be the difference in scales...and yes being in a new home might throw him off his feed for a few days.

By his pictures, he does not look skinny - just tiny.

Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top