Veterinary Position on Debarking

I firmly believe that when we take in pets, who at one time were wild animals, we must alter them to some degree to meet our lifestyle.

This is of course true and leads me to clarify my earlier statement to include that I do not believe in surgically altering our animal companions for convenience or cosmetic purposes. I thought that this contextually clear, but could have made it more apparent.

I do support altering our pets to suit our lifestyles, but personally believe in doing it via behavioral modification and selective breeding. (Just wanted to make it clear that I don't let my pets defecate all over my house. I altered that behavior right away to meet my lifestyle! :razz:)
 
View from across the pond..

I find this quite fascinating as to my knowledge, debarking is never done over here. Prior to joining this forum and reading some of the previous threads on the subject, I was quite horrified at the thought of this proceedure, same as ear cropping, yet I don't have an issue with docking as it's something I've grown up being used to.

However, I must confess that on reading comments on the previous threads and subsequently this one, I have altered my opinion somewhat. I think our noise laws are less stringent here as well, which makes a difference, but if the only alternative to having to give up my dogs was debarking, then I would absolutly chose this path. Something I would never have said before.

I think it is odd that often people who are venemently opposed to something like this, are quite happy to push for routine neutering which is acatually going to have a more significant effect on the dog as it involves the removal of an organ, hormones etc. Each to their own but it does appear to be a different perception of the same kind of issue. Neutering stops dogs breeding and unwanted behaviour, debarking stops noise nuisance and because the dog is not being discplined all the time, presumably life is more pleasant for it.

Docking has recently been banned here, which I think is a slippery slope. It's a particuarly touchy subject at the moment as the law is peculiar in preventing legally docked dogs (working gundogs etc) from exhibiting at shows with a fee paying audience (Crufts). The trouble is it is all very well having legislation but it often seems to have unconsidered consquences. In the case of debarking, quite possibly more dogs being dumped/euthanased seems a likely side effect.

As to the law about leaving dogs in cars -? We have a lot of problems with this here in the summer months. A couple of years ago, a couple went to visit a safari park near where I live. It was the hottest day of the year and they left the dog in the car. When someone realised there was a problem and broke into the vehicle, the dog was not only dead, it had started to decompose it was so hot. Sadly it's not only people who have yet to evolve from pond life which do this either. There is constant issues with exhibitors leaving dogs in cars at shows and an extreemly public case where a police dog died having been left. I just think that having a law about this kind of thing seems odd. I leave my dogs in the car on occasions unattended, going to the supermarket to get some fish for Yogi on the way back from the vet springs to mind, but the outside temprature was about 5C so he wasn't going to fry. Seems like law is replacing common sense.:no:

Just one final thing; does anyone ever devocalise a CAT?
 
What is a "medical behavioral modification effort"? Keeping the dog sedated all the time?

I lump debarking in with all convenience surgeries, including spaying and neutering. If you outlaw debarking, then altering needs to go to, except to save the life of the dog. If you can't be bothered to keep your dog from having sex, you don't need a dog, right?

Thankfully, we have the City of Baltimore behind us here in Maryland. They LIKE their residents having all the possible options to keep neighborhoods happy. They tried to outlaw it, and it never made it out of committee.
I don't lump debarking in with spaying and neutering- which I don't feel are convenience surgeries, as you suggest. Spaying and neutering are preventative and necessary surgeries to prevent an unwanted over-population of dogs. And I am not talking about responsible breeders here- most dogs are not produced from responsible breeding.
 
Many vets are against debarking, they are not uninformed or ignorant
Kinda like I wouldnt want to go to my GP for knee surgery...Some vets know how to do it and some dont/wont, its up to the pet owner to do their homework as well, just like some vets are good and others eehhhhh not so much! :)
 
I don't lump debarking in with spaying and neutering- which I don't feel are convenience surgeries, as you suggest. Spaying and neutering are preventative and necessary surgeries to prevent an unwanted over-population of dogs. And I am not talking about responsible breeders here- most dogs are not produced from responsible breeding.

Sure they are convenience surgeries. It's more convenient for you (imperial you) to spay your bitch than to keep her contained while she is in heat. Whether that is because you (imperial you again) are lazy or ignorant, that's not my problem. I shouldn't have to spay my bitch because you can't be bothered. Dogs do not immaculately conceive. It 100% comes down to the owner, and what they want to deal with.
 
Sure they are convenience surgeries. It's more convenient for you (imperial you) to spay your bitch than to keep her contained while she is in heat. Whether that is because you (imperial you again) are lazy or ignorant, that's not my problem. I shouldn't have to spay my bitch because you can't be bothered. Dogs do not immaculately conceive. It 100% comes down to the owner, and what they want to deal with.

Yes, I agree that altering your pet is a convenience surgery just as debarking is. It makes my life easier b/c like you said, I don't have to worry about containing them or deal with any mess that might arise from them being unaltered. If you're against altering your dog's vocal cords, than you should be against altering your dog period.
 
Many vets are against debarking, they are not uninformed or ignorant

Many vets also push crappy, crappy dog food and other unnecessary things on people. They (not all, of course) are uninformed and somewhat ignorant for not taking the time to do their research.
 
Very VERY well said, Megan.

I could not agree more. Especially when the bark softening does not alter the dogs natural behavior.

The question is...what is more traumatic for the dog?

1. Being rehomed and/or disciplined for their natural instinctive behavior.

2. Or having a procedure done by a licensed veterinarian and allowed to live the life that they are accustomed to.

Or being put down.......I would debark first.

p.s. I'm very glad that the forum is being professional in their opinions on this very controversial topic.

This is a great discussion and as long as its kept on this level, it does give us all good food for thought, without attaching each other.
 
Last edited:
Or being put down.......I would debark first.

p.s. I'm very glad that the forum is being professional in their opinions on this very controversial topic.

This is a great discussion and as long as its kept on this level, it does give us all good food for thought, without attaching each other.

I agree Barb. I am very proud to be a member of this forum, as we can have discussions like this without attacks.

Good job, everyone!
 
Back
Top