bathing your dog...

The Sheltie Grooming Guide for Pet Pups!

I know, I know....I haven't finished the Buying Guide and I'm already thinking about another project.

It occurs to me reading all these posts, that there are those that have the time and those that do not. And that those that have the tools (e.g. tables, grooming arms, air dryers, shampoo tubs, etc.) and those that do not (and that would be most of us).

I really think we need a practical guide to Sheltie Grooming, for the everyday companion pet owner.

I'm reading through this thread, and thinking: that's great if you have 4 or more Shelties and have configured your house to accomodate them. But what if you only have 1 or 2? And you are not a breeder, shower, agility performer? You just want a clean and healthy pup!

The advice here would make a novice's eye's spin!

I'm not committing to anything here, but I'm thinking about a Grooming 101 for you average Sheltie Owner. Nobody who has special tubs or tables, etc.

Thoughts?
 
I know, I know....I haven't finished the Buying Guide and I'm already thinking about another project.

It occurs to me reading all these posts, that there are those that have the time and those that do not. And that those that have the tools (e.g. tables, grooming arms, air dryers, shampoo tubs, etc.) and those that do not (and that would be most of us).

I really think we need a practical guide to Sheltie Grooming, for the everyday companion pet owner.

I'm reading through this thread, and thinking: that's great if you have 4 or more Shelties and have configured your house to accomodate them. But what if you only have 1 or 2? And you are not a breeder, shower, agility performer? You just want a clean and healthy pup!

The advice here would make a novice's eye's spin!

I'm not committing to anything here, but I'm thinking about a Grooming 101 for you average Sheltie Owner. Nobody who has special tubs or tables, etc.

Thoughts?

I would love to have a basics guide- include some ear stuff too :wink2:
 
For brushes, I have some of the Chris Christensen brushes but my FAVORITE one of that line is the t-shaped pin brush for line brushing (scroll to the bottom of the page: http://www.chrissystems.com/brushes.htm). Oh My Goodness! It made line bushing him SO MUCH EASIER! I didn't feel like I was struggling to get the brush to do what I needed it to do. Yes, its a little expensive but it is SO worth it.

16 or 27?? Y'all may talk me into a CC brush yet :winkgrin:
 
Pantene sh & co, the 2 in one or the separate shampoo and condtioner? I thought we were only supposed to use puppy shampoos and conditioners on their coats so that there skin wouldn't dry out!?

I LOVE the smell on Pantene, please tell me more about its use on our furbabes??

I thought I would give it a try.I know Elaine uses it on Kia.Thought maybe she would pop in on this thread and give her thoughts.As Kia always looks great.And i'm sure if there adverse issues she would'nt be using it on her.

I had the 2 in 1 formula.I just made sure he was very well rinsed,you do that anyhow,but I wanted to make sure.
 
I know, I know....I haven't finished the Buying Guide and I'm already thinking about another project.

It occurs to me reading all these posts, that there are those that have the time and those that do not. And that those that have the tools (e.g. tables, grooming arms, air dryers, shampoo tubs, etc.) and those that do not (and that would be most of us).

I really think we need a practical guide to Sheltie Grooming, for the everyday companion pet owner.

I'm reading through this thread, and thinking: that's great if you have 4 or more Shelties and have configured your house to accomodate them. But what if you only have 1 or 2? And you are not a breeder, shower, agility performer? You just want a clean and healthy pup!

The advice here would make a novice's eye's spin!

I'm not committing to anything here, but I'm thinking about a Grooming 101 for you average Sheltie Owner. Nobody who has special tubs or tables, etc.

Thoughts?



OMGsh, I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE nothing more than a "how to" on grooming my Sheltie! My head is spinning with so much wonderful advice, but I still don't know where to start and what works best.

Like me, some of us live in predominantly muggy, hot places or where the temp rarely gets below freezing so maybe my grooming needs might be different than you far northeasterners!

I would be over JOYED, :lol: at a little simple how to dealy thing :smile2:..
 
Thank you everyone for sharing your favorite ways to deal with bathing...
Barb, I LOVE the idea about grooming guide...
yeah, simplicity is the key... I want to keep my dog looking good, but Che routinely gets muddy and slobbered after dog park, few "easy solutions" will help tremendously. I am a bit fussy about using lots of chemicals so the more herbal based solutions are the better...
am not sure about brushes costing $50, but would like to know basic size and type of brushes needed to keep it going... I am not the one to keep taking pup to the groomer unless it is special treat, am happy to keep my own haircut in check...
 
The 27 works well for my girls/Justice's body and the 35 is great for Justice's mane. 27 can't get to the bottom.:lol:

In another post, I indicated that I had a 20 and a 27. I just checked again. And I was wrong.

I have 20 and 35.

The 35 works great on Indy's huge pants. And I use the 20 to finish him up (the pins are a little closer together).

The 20 works great on Bacca, but he does not have alot of undercoat.

I think if I could have only one brush, I would pick a 27.

But since I've got two, then my 20 and 35 works great!
 
I know, I know....I haven't finished the Buying Guide and I'm already thinking about another project.

It occurs to me reading all these posts, that there are those that have the time and those that do not. And that those that have the tools (e.g. tables, grooming arms, air dryers, shampoo tubs, etc.) and those that do not (and that would be most of us).

I really think we need a practical guide to Sheltie Grooming, for the everyday companion pet owner.

I'm reading through this thread, and thinking: that's great if you have 4 or more Shelties and have configured your house to accomodate them. But what if you only have 1 or 2? And you are not a breeder, shower, agility performer? You just want a clean and healthy pup!

The advice here would make a novice's eye's spin!

I'm not committing to anything here, but I'm thinking about a Grooming 101 for you average Sheltie Owner. Nobody who has special tubs or tables, etc.

Thoughts?

Well, having just finished a half-hour grooming session with Gus, count me in! I think I have most of the "big stuff" under control, but the details (legs, feet and nails) have me skittish. I have a low table which I prop him up on, but I just find managing him by myself is a chore. Of course, if he didn't weigh 40 pounds, it might be easier.

He's not the problem--it's me! :lol: He stands still and basically just let's me go to town with the brushes, talc, dry shampoo, etc. It's the thought of trying to steady him on the table while I trim his feet that scares me off.

Guess it's time to invest in a grooming table with a loop. But, seriously, any help on grooming "by yourself" would be great.
 
Back
Top